MadCap to Acrobat PRO DC problems

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
joel7
Propeller Head

MadCap to Acrobat PRO DC problems

Post by joel7 »

I am on Flare 11.1.2 and Acrobat PRO DC. When I send PDFs for shared review, the reviewers cannot comment and get this error: "This document enabled extended features in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. The document has been changed since it was created and use of extended features is no longer available."
I'm wondering if the MadBuild hooks into Acrobat are messed up since Adobe put DC out?
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: MadCap to Acrobat PRO DC problems

Post by doc_guy »

Joel, did you ever get an answer to this question from MadCap?

We are looking at upgrading Acrobat to DC, and are wondering what the implications will be with Flare.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

I think I found a workaround for this problem using Flare 12 or 2016r2+Acrobat Pro DC:
-After creating the shared review file, choose File > Save a Copy. Save the file (with the same name) to your PC in a different location than the original.
-Close the original shared review file.
-Copy the new file to the server (or wherever your shared review file is hosted), overwriting the original shared review file you created.

I tested this using a different user account and machine with Acrobat reader installed, and could reproduce the problem. After using the above method, I was able to connect to the shared review file, add comments and publish them. I was then able to open the PDF from my machine and see the published comments.
Kellie
docgirlpgh
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by docgirlpgh »

I'm currently running MadCap Flare 12 (12.0.5991.25330) and Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and Reader DC 2015 (2015.020.20042) on a Windows 10 O/S. When I'm on a topic file, I click the Preview as PDF button and receive error: "There is a problem with Adobe Acrobat/Reader. If it is running, please exit and try again. (9:9)"

MadCap tech support said: "We have seen this issue with the latest versions of Acrobat Pro DC, version 2015.020.20039 and later. Please note that I have submitted a Bug Report on your behalf (#124169) with our development team and you will be notified via email if a fix for this is included in a future patch or release version. The current workaround would be to install Adobe Reader DC as well. I would also report the issue to Adobe because the issue appears to be related to how their Internet Explorer plugin works. I have seen this issue in other applications as well."

I told them that I am running Adobe Reader DC and it didn't work either.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any solutions? Thanks for any help!
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

Yeah, I've encountered this as well.
Kellie
docgirlpgh
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by docgirlpgh »

I ended up uninstalling Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Then, when I tried to use the Preview in PDF option, I received the pop-up message, "The Acrobat DC PDF browser plug-in is missing. Please reinstall Acrobat DC or Acrobat Reader DC to fix this problem. OK" I clicked the OK button and the PDF preview opened up in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. So, I'll just use it that way and click the OK button each time, I guess.

I didn't try this suggestion from MadCap support but may later: "The solution would require a uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe Reader DC and then having it set as default PDF viewer. The work around requires Adobe Reader DC be installed after Adobe Pro DC."