Is it possible to ...

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
RonM63
Propeller Head

Is it possible to ...

Post by RonM63 »

insert a <dl> </dl> block in the XML editor? This is a feature (with the associated <dt> and <dd> tags) that I use extensively, and it breaks the flow to need to switch to code view a few hundred times a day. Have I missed a ribbon control to create the definition list block (because once inside a block, the term and definition tags become available to the context style menu).

Thank you for any assists

Ron
MattyQ
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Is it possible to ...

Post by MattyQ »

Boy, that would be amazing, Ron. For whatever reason, Flare still lacks basically any support for description lists. It would be a super sensible feature to have, here's hoping that it's implemented in Flare 12.

The closest you can get to adding them, that I know of, is to first create an ordered or unordered list. Then, you can select the ol or ul tag on the left of the XML editor. In the Style drop-down list, you can then select dl.

Unfortunately, at that point, the Flare UI doesn't provide a way that I know of to insert dt or dd elements. All this to say, you're usually stuck creating description lists in the Text Editor, not in the XML Editor.
RonM63
Propeller Head

Post by RonM63 »

MattyQ

Thanks v much for the tip about making them an OL first - that, at least, makes it a bit quicker.

I guess that pretty much resolves my question until Madcap include DL in the list selector. :wink:
djohnson
Propeller Head

Post by djohnson »

You could also create a snippet with a basic <dl> list, insert the snippet where needed, then convert the inserted copy to text and edit it.

You could even make a few snippets with different styles, number of entries, etc.
Don Johnson
Flare 2020r3, Windows 10 in a Parallels VM on a 16" MacBook Pro [as of March 2021]