Automate Browse Sequence

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
rcrawford_Athena
Jr. Propeller Head

Automate Browse Sequence

Post by rcrawford_Athena »

My company uses the Browse Sequence and TOC to sort by different topics or practices depending on the Release Note. I am wondering if anyone knows how to automate this process?

What we do now is to drag the .htm file from the Content Explorer into the browse sequence under whichever book or sub-book it falls under. If a release note is under multiple, it becomes a hassle, and because we have 100+ release notes, we have to manually do this for all of them. I haven't been able to figure out a way to automate this process, but I'm thinking that there should be a way to condition the release note's text specifying where to locate the .htm file into the browse sequence. Maybe a script that notes the condition and copies over the .htm file into the correct book?

Let me know if this is unclear or impossible.

Thanks,

Ben
cruitbuck
Propeller Head

Re: Automate Browse Sequence

Post by cruitbuck »

Hi Ben:

There are so many reptitive tasks. I plugin to my fav music and go numb while doing them. HOWEVER, most of the config files in Flare are pure flat text XML files. Which means you can create a batch or script file to copy file names and titles and add them to the XML file structure. Attached is a sample browse sequence XML file I created. Hope this sparks an idea. (So much can be done under the covers if you can break out of the Flare GUI box.)

BobB
2016-04-11_9-33-38.png
Love :flare:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buck the Tech Writer
===keep thinking===
Love :flare:
rcrawford_Athena
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Automate Browse Sequence

Post by rcrawford_Athena »

Hey cruitbuck,

You are spot on and that does help me think outside the (GUI) box. I was just helping my coworker use macros to delete XML condition text, but I didn't put 2+2 together. Thanks so much for your help.