Analyzer vs. Flare's "Project Analysis"

This Forum is for General Issues about Analyzer
Centauri27
Sr. Propeller Head

Analyzer vs. Flare's "Project Analysis"

Post by Centauri27 »

Is it just me or does it seem that the Project Analysis tool built into Flare runs much more smoothly and quickly than Analyzer? Even though I have Analyzer, I find that for checking broken links, topics not in TOC or index, etc., it's much more convenient (and less frustrating!) to use Flare's tool. PA probably uses the same code base as Analyzer and I can simply launch Analyzer from within Project Analysis, but the user experience is much more positive using Project Analysis instead of Analyzer.

Anyone else out there feel the same way? Is Analyzer stillborn (read: waste of money) or simply has yet to achieve its potential?

There have been no Analyzer updates in a long long time and the prognosis is not good.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Analyzer vs. Flare's "Project Analysis"

Post by NorthEast »

Centauri27 wrote:Is it just me or does it seem that the Project Analysis tool built into Flare runs much more smoothly and quickly than Analyzer? Even though I have Analyzer, I find that for checking broken links, topics not in TOC or index, etc., it's much more convenient (and less frustrating!) to use Flare's tool. PA probably uses the same code base as Analyzer and I can simply launch Analyzer from within Project Analysis, but the user experience is much more positive using Project Analysis instead of Analyzer.

Anyone else out there feel the same way? Is Analyzer stillborn (read: waste of money) or simply has yet to achieve its potential?

There have been no Analyzer updates in a long long time and the prognosis is not good.
Yes, I much prefer to use project analysis in Flare (even though it's quite limited). The scan is no faster, but the results display much more quickly.

On large projects (2,500 topics), I find Analyzer is extremely slow and virtually unusable. After a scan, it takes several minutes to display the summary or update the panes; which considering it updates every time you save a file in the project, it means waiting minutes between each edit.
I use a fast PC, so I dread to think what it's like on a slower machine.

Not only that, it also crashes around 50% of the time that I use it.

It can actually be quicker to generate reports in Flare and do things manually than to use Analyzer.
Centauri27
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Centauri27 »

My project has less than 400 topics and Analyzer is already excruciatingly slow during its refreshes--and this on a reasonably quick machine (dual core, 4GB RAM). I agree that the scanning speed is about the same between the two. I just don't understand why Analyzer takes many minutes to display the results after scanning while Project Analysis is instantaneous.
MunchMan
Propeller Head

Post by MunchMan »

If your project is on a shared network drive, try moving it to your hard drive. For my Flare project, it turned an 18-second search into a half-second search. Maybe you'll see a similar performance increase in Analyzer.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

MunchMan wrote:If your project is on a shared network drive, try moving it to your hard drive. For my Flare project, it turned an 18-second search into a half-second search. Maybe you'll see a similar performance increase in Analyzer.
Munchman, you're responding to a post that is rather old, so I suspect things have moved on for the OP, but thank you for responding. :)
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx