How to.... create segment of text in XML format

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
ErikMeegdes
Jr. Propeller Head

How to.... create segment of text in XML format

Post by ErikMeegdes »

How can I create a segment in my document that is displayed as XML content (comments in alternative colors etc, as displayed in IE for example).
I do now want to display the content of the XML segment(s) by means of images, because users/readers cannot copy the xml examples.

Any ideas are welcome...

Erik Meegdes
Daniel Ferguson
Propeller Head

Re: How to.... create segment of text in XML format

Post by Daniel Ferguson »

Hi Erik,

It sounds like you might be looking for a syntax highlighter. Syntax highlighters automatically highlight code samples to make them more readable. My preferred syntax highlighter is called prismjs. It's just some css and js that you stick in your Flare project. You can then apply a style class to your code samples, and they will be automatically highlighted. Here are some examples: http://prismjs.com/#examples

This may be overkill though if you only have a few XML samples to include. If it's just a few cases, you could get away with just creating some styles in your stylesheet.

Can you give a little more information about how extensive this is?
Daniel Ferguson
Certified Flare Trainer & Consultant
smartoutput.com
ErikMeegdes
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by ErikMeegdes »

Daniel,

I'm writing documentation (what else?) for our Enterprise Content Management system and for the webbased components I need to include some web.config files. Some formatting would be nice for our readers.
Next to the documentation for our end-users, I've started writing docu for our developers and consultants. These sections tend to contain a lot more code and config file, so again formatting would be nice and make reading (understandig) more easy.

I will try to include the prism sollution.

Greetings,

Erik
ErikMeegdes
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by ErikMeegdes »

Damn...

the following script fails in Flare.
CDATA ]]> is not allowed? I have not been coding for over 10 years, so this is kind of new to me.
Do you have any clues?

Greetz,

/* http://prismjs.com/download.html?themes ... mmand-line */
var _self="undefined"!=typeof window?window:"undefined"!=typeof WorkerGlobalScope&&self instanceof WorkerGlobalScope?self:{},Prism=function(){var e=/\blang(?:uage)?-(\w+)\b/i,t=0,n=_self.Prism={util:{encode:function(e){return e instanceof a?new a(e.type,n.util.encode(e.content),e.alias):"Array"===n.util.type(e)?e.map(n.util.encode):e.replace(/&/g,"&").replace(/</g,"<").replace(/\u00a0/g," ")},type:function(e){return Object.prototype.toString.call(e).match(/\[object (\w+)\]/)[1]},objId:function(e){return e.__id||Object.defineProperty(e,"__id",{value:++t}),e.__id},clone:function(e){var t=n.util.type(e);switch(t){case"Object":var a={};for(var r in e)e.hasOwnProperty(r)&&(a[r]=n.util.clone(e[r]));return a;case"Array":return e.map&&e.map(function(e){return n.util.clone(e)})}return e}},languages:{extend:function(e,t){var a=n.util.clone(n.languages[e]);for(var r in t)a[r]=t[r];return a},insertBefore:function(e,t,a,r){r=r||n.languages;var l=r[e];if(2==arguments.length){a=arguments[1];for(var i in a)a.hasOwnProperty(i)&&(l=a);return l}var o={};for(var s in l)if(l.hasOwnProperty(s)){if(s==t)for(var i in a)a.hasOwnProperty(i)&&(o=a);o[s]=l[s]}return n.languages.DFS(n.languages,function(t,n){n===r[e]&&t!=e&&(this[t]=o)}),r[e]=o},DFS:function(e,t,a,r){r=r||{};for(var l in e)e.hasOwnProperty(l)&&(t.call(e,l,e[l],a||l),"Object"!==n.util.type(e[l])||r[n.util.objId(e[l])]?"Array"!==n.util.type(e[l])||r[n.util.objId(e[l])]||(r[n.util.objId(e[l])]=!0,n.languages.DFS(e[l],t,l,r)):(r[n.util.objId(e[l])]=!0,n.languages.DFS(e[l],t,null,r)))}},plugins:{},highlightAll:function(e,t){var a={callback:t,selector:'code[class*="language-"], [class*="language-"] code, code[class*="lang-"], [class*="lang-"] code'};n.hooks.run("before-highlightall",a);for(var r,l=a.elements||document.querySelectorAll(a.selector),i=0;r=l[i++];)n.highlightElement(r,e===!0,a.callback)},highlightElement:function(t,a,r){for(var l,i,o=t;o&&!e.test(o.className);)o=o.parentNode;o&&(l=(o.className.match(e)||[,""])[1],i=n.languages[l]),t.className=t.className.replace(e,"").replace(/\s+/g," ")+" language-"+l,o=t.parentNode,/pre/i.test(o.nodeName)&&(o.className=o.className.replace(e,"").replace(/\s+/g," ")+" language-"+l);var s=t.textContent,u={element:t,language:l,grammar:i,code:s};if(n.hooks.run("before-sanity-check",u),!u.code||!u.grammar)return n.hooks.run("complete",u),void 0;if(n.hooks.run("before-highlight",u),a&&_self.Worker){var c=new Worker(n.filename);c.onmessage=function(e){u.highlightedCode=e.data,n.hooks.run("before-insert",u),u.element.innerHTML=u.highlightedCode,r&&r.call(u.element),n.hooks.run("after-highlight",u),n.hooks.run("complete",u)},c.postMessage(JSON.stringify({language:u.language,code:u.code,immediateClose:!0}))}else u.highlightedCode=n.highlight(u.code,u.grammar,u.language),n.hooks.run("before-insert",u),u.element.innerHTML=u.highlightedCode,r&&r.call(t),n.hooks.run("after-highlight",u),n.hooks.run("complete",u)},highlight:function(e,t,r){var l=n.tokenize(e,t);return a.stringify(n.util.encode(l),r)},tokenize:function(e,t){var a=n.Token,r=[e],l=t.rest;if(l){for(var i in l)t=l;delete t.rest}e:for(var i in t)if(t.hasOwnProperty(i)&&t){var o=t;o="Array"===n.util.type(o)?o:[o];for(var s=0;s<o.length;++s){var u=o[s],c=u.inside,g=!!u.lookbehind,h=!!u.greedy,f=0,d=u.alias;u=u.pattern||u;for(var p=0;p<r.length;p++){var m=r[p];if(r.length>e.length)break e;if(!(m instanceof a)){u.lastIndex=0;var y=u.exec(m),v=1;if(!y&&h&&p!=r.length-1){var b=r[p+1].matchedStr||r[p+1],k=m+b;if(p<r.length-2&&(k+=r[p+2].matchedStr||r[p+2]),u.lastIndex=0,y=u.exec(k),!y)continue;var w=y.index+(g?y[1].length:0);if(w>=m.length)continue;var _=y.index+y[0].length,P=m.length+b.length;if(v=3,P>=_){if(r[p+1].greedy)continue;v=2,k=k.slice(0,P)}m=k}if(y){g&&(f=y[1].length);var w=y.index+f,y=y[0].slice(f),_=w+y.length,S=m.slice(0,w),O=m.slice(_),j=[p,v];S&&j.push(S);var A=new a(i,c?n.tokenize(y,c):y,d,y,h);j.push(A),O&&j.push(O),Array.prototype.splice.apply(r,j)}}}}}return r},hooks:{all:{},add:function(e,t){var a=n.hooks.all;a[e]=a[e]||[],a[e].push(t)},run:function(e,t){var a=n.hooks.all[e];if(a&&a.length)for(var r,l=0;r=a[l++];)r(t)}}},a=n.Token=function(e,t,n,a,r){this.type=e,this.content=t,this.alias=n,this.matchedStr=a||null,this.greedy=!!r};if(a.stringify=function(e,t,r){if("string"==typeof e)return e;if("Array"===n.util.type(e))return e.map(function(n){return a.stringify(n,t,e)}).join("");var l={type:e.type,content:a.stringify(e.content,t,r),tag:"span",classes:["token",e.type],attributes:{},language:t,parent:r};if("comment"==l.type&&(l.attributes.spellcheck="true"),e.alias){var i="Array"===n.util.type(e.alias)?e.alias:[e.alias];Array.prototype.push.apply(l.classes,i)}n.hooks.run("wrap",l);var o="";for(var s in l.attributes)o+=(o?" ":"")+s+'="'+(l.attributes[s]||"")+'"';return"<"+l.tag+' class="'+l.classes.join(" ")+'" '+o+">"+l.content+"</"+l.tag+">"},!_self.document)return _self.addEventListener?(_self.addEventListener("message",function(e){var t=JSON.parse(e.data),a=t.language,r=t.code,l=t.immediateClose;_self.postMessage(n.highlight(r,n.languages[a],a)),l&&_self.close()},!1),_self.Prism):_self.Prism;var r=document.currentScript||[].slice.call(document.getElementsByTagName("script")).pop();return r&&(n.filename=r.src,document.addEventListener&&!r.hasAttribute("data-manual")&&document.addEventListener("DOMContentLoaded",n.highlightAll)),_self.Prism}();"undefined"!=typeof module&&module.exports&&(module.exports=Prism),"undefined"!=typeof global&&(global.Prism=Prism);
Prism.languages.markup={comment:/<!--[\w\W]*?-->/,prolog:/<\?[\w\W]+?\?>/,doctype:/<!DOCTYPE[\w\W]+?>/,cdata:/<!\[CDATA\[[\w\W]*?]]>/i,tag:{pattern:/<\/?(?!\d)[^\s>\/=.$<]+(?:\s+[^\s>\/=]+(?:=(?:("|')(?:\\\1|\\?(?!\1)[\w\W])*\1|[^\s'">=]+))?)*\s*\/?>/i,inside:{tag:{pattern:/^<\/?[^\s>\/]+/i,inside:{punctuation:/^<\/?/,namespace:/^[^\s>\/:]+:/}},"attr-value":{pattern:/=(?:('|")[\w\W]*?(\1)|[^\s>]+)/i,inside:{punctuation:/[=>"']/}},punctuation:/\/?>/,"attr-name":{pattern:/[^\s>\/]+/,inside:{namespace:/^[^\s>\/:]+:/}}}},entity:/&#?[\da-z]{1,8};/i},Prism.hooks.add("wrap",function(a){"entity"===a.type&&(a.attributes.title=a.content.replace(/&/,"&"))}),Prism.languages.xml=Prism.languages.markup,Prism.languages.html=Prism.languages.markup,Prism.languages.mathml=Prism.languages.markup,Prism.languages.svg=Prism.languages.markup;
Prism.languages.css={comment:/\/\*[\w\W]*?\*\//,atrule:{pattern:/@[\w-]+?.*?(;|(?=\s*\{))/i,inside:{rule:/@[\w-]+/}},url:/url\((?:(["'])(\\(?:\r\n|[\w\W])|(?!\1)[^\\\r\n])*\1|.*?)\)/i,selector:/[^\{\}\s][^\{\};]*?(?=\s*\{)/,string:/("|')(\\(?:\r\n|[\w\W])|(?!\1)[^\\\r\n])*\1/,property:/(\b|\B)[\w-]+(?=\s*:)/i,important:/\B!important\b/i,"function":/[-a-z0-9]+(?=\()/i,punctuation:/[(){};:]/},Prism.languages.css.atrule.inside.rest=Prism.util.clone(Prism.languages.css),Prism.languages.markup&&(Prism.languages.insertBefore("markup","tag",{style:{pattern:/(<style[\w\W]*?>)[\w\W]*?(?=<\/style>)/i,lookbehind:!0,inside:Prism.languages.css,alias:"language-css"}}),Prism.languages.insertBefore("inside","attr-value",{"style-attr":{pattern:/\s*style=("|').*?\1/i,inside:{"attr-name":{pattern:/^\s*style/i,inside:Prism.languages.markup.tag.inside},punctuation:/^\s*=\s*['"]|['"]\s*$/,"attr-value":{pattern:/.+/i,inside:Prism.languages.css}},alias:"language-css"}},Prism.languages.markup.tag));
Prism.languages.clike={comment:[{pattern:/(^|[^\\])\/\*[\w\W]*?\*\//,lookbehind:!0},{pattern:/(^|[^\\:])\/\/.*/,lookbehind:!0}],string:{pattern:/(["'])(\\(?:\r\n|[\s\S])|(?!\1)[^\\\r\n])*\1/,greedy:!0},"class-name":{pattern:/((?:\b(?:class|interface|extends|implements|trait|instanceof|new)\s+)|(?:catch\s+\())[a-z0-9_\.\\]+/i,lookbehind:!0,inside:{punctuation:/(\.|\\)/}},keyword:/\b(if|else|while|do|for|return|in|instanceof|function|new|try|throw|catch|finally|null|break|continue)\b/,"boolean":/\b(true|false)\b/,"function":/[a-z0-9_]+(?=\()/i,number:/\b-?(?:0x[\da-f]+|\d*\.?\d+(?:e[+-]?\d+)?)\b/i,operator:/--?|\+\+?|!=?=?|<=?|>=?|==?=?|&&?|\|\|?|\?|\*|\/|~|\^|%/,punctuation:/[{}[\];(),.:]/};
!function(){function t(t){"function"!=typeof t||e(t)||r.push(t)}function e(t){return"function"==typeof t?r.filter(function(e){return e.valueOf()===t.valueOf()})[0]:"string"==typeof t&&t.length>0?r.filter(function(e){return e.name===t})[0]:null}function n(t){if("string"==typeof t&&(t=e(t)),"function"==typeof t){var n=r.indexOf(t);n>=0&&r.splice(n,1)}}function a(){Array.prototype.slice.call(document.querySelectorAll("pre[data-jsonp]")).forEach(function(t){t.textContent="";var e=document.createElement("code");e.textContent=i,t.appendChild(e);var n=t.getAttribute("data-adapter"),a=null;if(n){if("function"!=typeof window[n])return e.textContent="JSONP adapter function '"+n+"' doesn't exist",void 0;a=window[n]}var u="prismjsonp"+o++,f=document.createElement("a"),l=f.href=t.getAttribute("data-jsonp");f.href+=(f.search?"&":"?")+(t.getAttribute("data-callback")||"callback")+"="+u;var s=setTimeout(function(){e.textContent===i&&(e.textContent="Timeout loading '"+l+"'")},5e3),d=document.createElement("script");d.src=f.href,window=function(n){document.head.removeChild(d),clearTimeout(s),delete window;var o="";if(a)o=a(n,t);else for(var i in r)if(o=r(n,t),null!==o)break;null===o?e.textContent="Cannot parse response (perhaps you need an adapter function?)":(e.textContent=o,Prism.highlightElement(e))},document.head.appendChild(d)})}if(self.Prism&&self.document&&document.querySelectorAll&&[].filter){var r=[];Prism.plugins.jsonphighlight={registerAdapter:t,removeAdapter:n,highlight:a},t(function(t){if(t&&t.meta&&t.data){if(t.meta.status&&t.meta.status>=400)return"Error: "+(t.data.message||t.meta.status);if("string"==typeof t.data.content)return"function"==typeof atob?atob(t.data.content.replace(/\s/g,"")):"Your browser cannot decode base64"}return null}),t(function(t,e){if(t&&t.meta&&t.data&&t.data.files){if(t.meta.status&&t.meta.status>=400)return"Error: "+(t.data.message||t.meta.status);var n=e.getAttribute("data-filename");if(null==n)for(var a in t.data.files)if(t.data.files.hasOwnProperty(a)){n=a;break}return void 0!==t.data.files[n]?t.data.files[n].content:"Error: unknown or missing gist file "+n}return null}),t(function(t){return t&&t.node&&"string"==typeof t.data?t.data:null});var o=0,i="Loading…";a()}}();
!function(){"undefined"!=typeof self&&!self.Prism||"undefined"!=typeof global&&!global.Prism||Prism.hooks.add("wrap",function(e){"keyword"===e.type&&e.classes.push("keyword-"+e.content)})}();
!function(){"undefined"!=typeof self&&self.Prism&&self.document&&Prism.hooks.add("complete",function(e){if(e.code){var t=e.element.parentNode,a=/\s*\bcommand-line\b\s*/;if(t&&/pre/i.test(t.nodeName)&&(a.test(t.className)||a.test(e.element.className))&&!e.element.querySelector(".command-line-prompt")){a.test(e.element.className)&&(e.element.className=e.element.className.replace(a,"")),a.test(t.className)||(t.className+=" command-line");var n=new Array(1+e.code.split("\n").length),s=t.getAttribute("data-prompt")||"";if(""!==s)n=n.join('<span data-prompt="'+s+'"></span>');else{var r=t.getAttribute("data-user")||"user",l=t.getAttribute("data-host")||"localhost";n=n.join('<span data-user="'+r+'" data-host="'+l+'"></span>')}var m=document.createElement("span");m.className="command-line-prompt",m.innerHTML=n;var o=t.getAttribute("data-output")||"";o=o.split(",");for(var i=0;i<o.length;i++){var d=o.split("-"),p=parseInt(d[0]),c=p;if(2===d.length&&(c=parseInt(d[1])),!isNaN(p)&&!isNaN(c))for(var u=p;c>=u&&u<=m.children.length;u++){var N=m.children[u-1];N.removeAttribute("data-user"),N.removeAttribute("data-host"),N.removeAttribute("data-prompt")}}e.element.innerHTML=m.outerHTML+e.element.innerHTML}}})}();
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Rather than copy/paste the script into a topic, put script in a separate js file, and in your topic (or master page) add a script link to the js file.