Fatal Word Error occurred: Object has been deleted

Adsy
Propeller Head

Fatal Word Error occurred: Object has been deleted

Post by Adsy »

Today I am having an issue with my guild not being able to successfully output. In each case after I get the error I have restarted the software so it is always fresh with no memory issues. Regardless of if I Build or ReBuild, I am consistently getting this error.

This error displays a link called "Troubleshooting Microsoft Word Problemshttp://our.componentone.com/groups/doc- ... rkarounds/" which leads to an old page that is a bad link. The URL on this thought makes me assume it is something that can be sorted out.

Does anyone know what I can do to stop this error at all?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adsy
Propeller Head

Re: Fatal Word Error occurred: Object has been deleted

Post by Adsy »

After some trial and error I think I have figured this out. I had an old ComponentOne Add-In in my Word Template which is what I think has caused the issue. Since I have removed that the first attempt at running a build has worked.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Glad you were able to resolve it. It might benefit other users in the forums if you say which component it was you disabled, so other people with a similar issue know what helped you.

All the best,

-Paul
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Adsy
Propeller Head

Post by Adsy »

The issue is the following two add-ins.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi Adsy,

yes, most of the staff D2H needs in Word is in those two Global Addins.
Perhaps your Word startup-folder does not contain the current author.- and engine.dot files.

This might happen when you had an older D2H version installed on the same machine.

Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)
Adsy
Propeller Head

Post by Adsy »

Update**

I am still having this error occur.

Sabine, I highly doubt that I need those add-ins for 2 reasons. 1, When I removed them from my template the last time I had the issue, I was able to build my project with no issues at all and 2, there is no reference to them in MadCap about requiring them, and the link given to me in Doc to Help 3 is still linked back to ComponentOne.

You are correct though, I have had many different versions of Doc 2 Help installed on this PC. I need to have this issue resolved sooner rather than later as it is now happening all the time and I can't resolve it. If I do require those two files, where can I download them from, and where do they need to be placed?
Adsy
Propeller Head

Post by Adsy »

After some investigating I have found the Word startup folder and both of those components are contained in it so I don't think this is the issue.

Advice is welcome.
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi Adsy,

are you sure that the c1d2H global addins in your Word Startup folder belong to your current D2H version and that THEY are responsible for Word's fatal error??

Sabine Kamprowski
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Adsy
Propeller Head

Post by Adsy »

Hi Sabine,

Nope, I am not sure if they are or not. Would a reinstall of Doc 2 Help put them back where they were supposed to go? I will give it a go.
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi Adsy,

They are supposed to be YOUR Word startup-folder.

Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Adsy
Propeller Head

Post by Adsy »

Huh? I looked in MY word startup folder, they are there but I still get this error on every rebuild or build and cannot produce a guide.
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi Adsy,

Does the same error occur when you start a new project, created by new project wizard with default settings for a new Worddocument??

The reason why I want to know this: the issue might be in your environment (Word and its global add-ins) or your source file, or in your D2H project.
Until now, we searched in your general environment.

kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Adsy
Propeller Head

Post by Adsy »

Seems restarting the project is what fixes it. I used all the same settings and templates and it worked fine, so something has changed. Cheers.
jetboy2k
Propeller Head

Post by jetboy2k »

Adsy, I'm having an issue that, while not the same, could potentially have the same fix.

Can you clarify what you mean by "restarting" the project? I'd like to try that and see if it resolves my issue.

Thanks.
Adsy
Propeller Head

Post by Adsy »

Hi mate,

I started a completely new project using the settings from the project I was having issues with. Once I did that, I just made sure my templates were correct and all the files in the right spot and boom, working fine. It was odd because there was nothing I could see that changed the original project, but it's working so, that's a bonus.