External Resources - Editing Word Docs vs. Table of Contents

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Daniel Lemke
Propeller Head

External Resources - Editing Word Docs vs. Table of Contents

Post by Daniel Lemke »

Hello Friends!

I am using Flare 12. I have added a folder to my external resources and created a mapping for the folder so its contents are copied to my content explorer somewhere. I created a TOC file that includes some of the files, including some word docs.

When I have a word document in there, and I edit and save the word document while my TOC is open in Flare, the link in the TOC is automatically updated to the .tmp file created by Word. The TOC link is then broken and I either have to update it in its properties or replace it with a new one.

Anybody run into this before? It's my first time meddling with external resources, so I don't know if this is new to Flare 12, old news, nobody knows because nobody ever puts word docs in their TOC, etc.

Thanks,
Dan
Dan Lemke of Thomson Reuters
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: External Resources - Editing Word Docs vs. Table of Cont

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Rather than using external resources, would it be worth your while using global project linking? I haven't used external resources but I find GPL works REALLY well for what I need, and imports both Flare and Word files very well.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Daniel Lemke
Propeller Head

Post by Daniel Lemke »

ChoccieMuffin wrote:Rather than using external resources, would it be worth your while using global project linking? I haven't used external resources but I find GPL works REALLY well for what I need, and imports both Flare and Word files very well.
I'm using GPL for a lot of other stuff, but after some more testing yesterday, I realized the problem isn't related to external resources. I just happened to be trying it out at the same time I was also trying to add word docs to a TOC. I have the same problem regardless of how the Word files get into the project.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I didn't even know you could put Word docs in your TOC, I thought you HAD to import them and then put the generated html topics in your TOC instead.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Daniel Lemke
Propeller Head

Post by Daniel Lemke »

As far as I can tell, you can put any file in your TOC as long as it exists inside the Content folder of your project. You're limited, I am sure, by what each output type can support. For example, a PDF target is not going to include any content or attachments from Word or snippet files in a TOC, but an HTML5 output will serve them up--the Word file will open like normal and the snippet will just show its raw xhtml.
mruryk
Propeller Head

Post by mruryk »

ThomsonReuters_Dan wrote:Hello Friends!

I am using Flare 12. I have added a folder to my external resources and created a mapping for the folder so its contents are copied to my content explorer somewhere. I created a TOC file that includes some of the files, including some word docs.

When I have a word document in there, and I edit and save the word document while my TOC is open in Flare, the link in the TOC is automatically updated to the .tmp file created by Word. The TOC link is then broken and I either have to update it in its properties or replace it with a new one.
Dan
Why would you want to include Word docs in your Flare project? Why not import them into Flare?
Daniel Lemke
Propeller Head

Post by Daniel Lemke »

mruryk wrote:Why would you want to include Word docs in your Flare project? Why not import them into Flare?
I was setting up something like this, http://techwritingengineer.com/setting- ... cap-flare/, and I wanted to include Word files in the workflow. We have some content that requires Word as the source because it is owned by other teams who do not have access to Flare or willingness to learn, use, and pay for Contributor.
2bemused
Propeller Head

Post by 2bemused »

Hi Dan,

Have you tried inserting a link to the Word doc inside a topic, and use the topic file in the TOC instead?

Regards,

Philip
To do is to be - Socrates
Doooby doooby doo - Sinatra
Yabba Dabba Doo - Fred Flintstone
Daniel Lemke
Propeller Head

Post by Daniel Lemke »

2bemused wrote:Hi Dan,

Have you tried inserting a link to the Word doc inside a topic, and use the topic file in the TOC instead?

Regards,

Philip
I have not, but that might be a feasible workaround for us.

Thanks