Change default BMP save to PNG

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
MarkMetcalfe
Propeller Head

Change default BMP save to PNG

Post by MarkMetcalfe »

Apologies if this is a repeat but I've looked a lot of places and cannot find the answer.

Every time I click Save As... in Capture, I have to change the format in a drop-down from default BMP to PNG (preferred). I believe there is a way to change the default format to PNG which will save me a step that I might have to do dozens, scores, or hundreds of times.

If it is in the Help or in this forum, please point it out to me because my search and skims have failed.
Mark Metcalfe
Optimizely
542 Amherst St.
Nashua, NH 03063
mark.metcalfe@optimizely.com
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Change default BMP save to PNG

Post by SteveS »

On the View tab click the Profiles button (in the Tools group)

Click the Format tab in the Profiles window.

You can change bmp to whatever you prefer...
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
jjw
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by jjw »

I'd like to be able to change this default too. You can change the default for a profile, but there doesn't seem to be a way to change the system default that applies to new profiles, or to shapes that don't have a profile.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by SteveS »

If you follow the steps I described it will change the default profile (MyProfile is the default).

Although screenshots will show as .bmp, when you click the save button the default file type will be .png (or whatever format you selected).
Steve
MarkMetcalfe
Propeller Head

Post by MarkMetcalfe »

I already tried that (and tried it again just now). Maybe its a bug or something. (Capture 7.0.0)

I did this:

1. Created a new profile.
2. View > Profiles > Format tab.
3. Changed Format drop-down to PNG. (Now, should this change the default Save as Type on the Save As dialog box?)
4. Opened a .bmp image file. (not a screen capture)
5. Chose Save As and typed in a new name for the file. NOTE: Save as Type STILL shows Bitmap (*.bmp).
6. Click Save. BMP is what I get.

P.S. The Windows Photo app was able to quickly crop and save in the same format quickly and easily. However, it doesn't have the pixel-precision of Capture.

P.P.S. I tried File > Apply Profile, but that changed the default only for the active picture and not for subsequent ones.
Mark Metcalfe
Optimizely
542 Amherst St.
Nashua, NH 03063
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by SteveS »

MarkMetcalfe wrote:I already tried that (and tried it again just now). Maybe its a bug or something. (Capture 7.0.0)

I did this:

1. Created a new profile.
2. View > Profiles > Format tab.
3. Changed Format drop-down to PNG. (Now, should this change the default Save as Type on the Save As dialog box?)
4. Opened a .bmp image file. (not a screen capture)
5. Chose Save As and typed in a new name for the file. NOTE: Save as Type STILL shows Bitmap (*.bmp).
6. Click Save. BMP is what I get.

P.S. The Windows Photo app was able to quickly crop and save in the same format quickly and easily. However, it doesn't have the pixel-precision of Capture.

P.P.S. I tried File > Apply Profile, but that changed the default only for the active picture and not for subsequent ones.
Not defending Capture but that's what I'd expect any program to do, if you are opening an existing file the default action would have to be to save it in the existing file format.

If you have access to a program that can do batch conversions (snagit can, and I think photoshop) you can convert all images to another format without opening them, but that will break any links to the images and you will need to reinsert them.
Steve
MarkMetcalfe
Propeller Head

Post by MarkMetcalfe »

Thanks. You are probably right about BMP-in-then-BMP-out-by-default.
And the tip about batch format conversion prior to cropping was also a good tip (wish I had thought of it). (an acceptable workaround to what I hoped to do)

Mark
Mark Metcalfe
Optimizely
542 Amherst St.
Nashua, NH 03063
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by SteveS »

MarkMetcalfe wrote:Thanks. You are probably right about BMP-in-then-BMP-out-by-default.
And the tip about batch format conversion prior to cropping was also a good tip (wish I had thought of it). (an acceptable workaround to what I hoped to do)

Mark
:D
Steve