Is it me, or is it Flare?

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
ghillerson
Propeller Head

Is it me, or is it Flare?

Post by ghillerson »

I've had this problem with Flare since I started using it; just decided to find out if there's something particular about my computing environment that causes this issue or if others have the same issue.

I can have a number of topics open in the XML (or text) editor and freely switch among them by clicking the topic "tab".

The problem occurs when I have non-topic files also open. For example, today I'm editing a topic while also using the table style editor to tweak a custom table stylesheet. Whenever I switch between the two by clicking the appropriate tab, that tab jumps out on its own, as if I dragged it out of the main window to make it a standalone window. I can't seem to keep this from happening, no matter how delicately I click the tab. I tried using a different input device (a trackball instead of my mouse), but no luck. I've also seen this happen when editing a TOC file while working on topics; not always, but often.

Does anyone else see this happen? Is there some tweak I can perform to stop it from happening?

(I'm using Flare 12 on Windows 7 Pro, on a computer with plenty of horsepower)

Thanks in advance,
Gary
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Is it me, or is it Flare?

Post by doc_guy »

Is this new in Flare 12? Or did it happen in previous versions? Have you tried it on multiple computers, or only one hardware layout?

I ask because I've never seen this happen in my work or in the work with clients I've worked with, so I'm wondering what is different about your installation than those I've seen.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

ghillerson
Propeller Head

Post by ghillerson »

It's not new in 12, but it seems to be worse. I don't notice it on my laptop (with touchpad), though I use that a lot less frequently than I do my desktop.

I guess I'm glad you don't ever see it, for your sake :-)

thanks,
g
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

I'd log a support request with MadCap to see if they can help isolate the issue. Sorry!
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Maybe this forum discussion would shed some light?
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19795
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Nita, you're amazing, as always. :)
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Thank you kindly, friend! You already know that I've got a good memory for names and other details about people I meet. I guess this is the same kinda thing; I've been reading the forums practically daily for years and sometimes I realize "Hey, that sounds familiar..." so I go on a hunt. The real challenge is searching the forums...

Gary, please do post back whether that other post led to a solution.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
ghillerson
Propeller Head

Post by ghillerson »

Nita,

Thanks so much, and sorry for the delayed response.

It does work, though I've been "attached" to that smart move option for a long time. I'll try to get used to not having it (with that enabled, the default button in any dialog is automatically selected, so a press of the enter key quickly dismisses the box when desired), and will see how it goes. If I revert, at least I'll know why that crazy docking behavior is happening.

Cheers,
Gary