footnote placement after table

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

footnote placement after table

Post by pdenchfield »

Is there a way to place footnotes after the table in which they're used?

The menu I see gives me options such as at the end of the topic or section. Nothing table-related. (Flare 10)
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: footnote placement after table

Post by SteveS »

Can you place the table inside a couple of paragraph tags and apply the footnote thay way? (Not having a copy of Flare available at the minute...)
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Post by pdenchfield »

Hi Steve, I can insert footnotes into tables the same way I insert them elsewhere. The issue is where the text for those footnotes appear. The options are the same regardless of where I insert the footnotes. I'm thinking that I'm missing something obvious. Shouldn't footnote text for tables have the option of appearing immediately after the table instead of at the end of the topic (after any paragraphs that follow the table)?

Thanks!
bianca_writer
Propeller Head

Post by bianca_writer »

Looks like this thread has been quiet for 2 years, but I'm bringing it back! I'm facing the same challenge as the original poster. I would like to add table footnotes so that they appear immediately after the table. I contacted MadCap support, and this was the response:

"Currently there is no way to insert footnotes in the footer of a table. I have submitted a feature request on your behalf to our Product Managers who work with our Research and Development team regarding future versions of our products."

Hopefully support for table footnotes will come in a future version! Until then, any recommendations or best practices on how to add footnotes to tables? Just use cross-references?
cdiamond
Propeller Head

Post by cdiamond »

wow, this has been a feature request for 10 years. I would like to see the same. There is no "end of table" option for the footnote. What is the recommended workaround? Footnotes at the bottom of the page don't show up in HTML5 online viewing, either.
Related feature request from 2008: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7590&hilit=table+footnotes
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Not being able to create footnotes at the bottom of a HTML page sort of makes sense, the footnote marker on an interactive page is traditionally a hyperlink or a popup...

You could create something similar with an anchor on the footnote text you add at the bottom of the page with a link within the body of the text.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.