Is there a way to include phrases in the Synonyms Editor?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
seastman
Jr. Propeller Head

Is there a way to include phrases in the Synonyms Editor?

Post by seastman »

I am using the Directional synonyms feature. I would like to include phrases for both the words and synonyms but it seems like Flare only works with single words. Is there any way around this?

Thanks in advance.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Is there a way to include phrases in the Synonyms Editor?

Post by NorthEast »

No, unfortunately you can't have phrases as synonyms.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Just a thought, but would it work with non-breaking spaces or does that defeat the purpose (even if it works)?
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
MaryF
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by MaryF »

Any plans to include multi-word phrases in the Synonyms?
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Unfortunately as a peer support forum everyone is pretty much in the dark as to what is happening at MadCap's Skunk Works...

If you think it is a worthwhile feature you'd use place an enhancement request using this URL: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.

It works on the squeaky wheel principle, the squeakiest wheel gets greased first!
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
MaryF
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by MaryF »

Thanks - this would be such a cool feature for us to help readers transition from the older terms to new terms!

I just submitted a bug (case 32387) since the Flare documentation for synonym uses the word 'phrase' and a phrase by definition includes multiple words.
EmilyM
Propeller Head

Post by EmilyM »

I have submitted an enhancement request for this issue as well. Hopefully if Madcap receives enough requests we can get this implemented.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Re: Is there a way to include phrases in the Synonyms Editor

Post by pdenchfield »

Any change here? Are multi-word phrases allowed in synonym files (*.mcsyns)?
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by roboHAL »

pdenchfield, technically speaking multi word phrases can be input into the synonyms file. Trouble is it wont work as intended. Have a look at this topic
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27546&p=121776&hil ... ms#p121776 in which I posted some alternatives. Hopefully that can be of help to you. :arrow:
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Post by pdenchfield »

Thank you, roboHAL. Unfortunately, adding hidden divs to multiple topics does not work with the large numbers of topics we deal with. I will keep it in mind for smaller projects. :)

Still looking for multi-word phrases defined at the project level for search results... Thank you in advance to anyone who can provide hints!
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by roboHAL »

You're very welcome Pam. When you write that it does not work, I take this to mean you believe it is too laborious to justify the result. Consider that you can create a snippet and use that, but besides that, why not insert the hidden divs in certain - even if only one - topics? It would seem to me that at the moment no result or an incorrect search result would be found, otherwise why would you need any synonym modifications? At least if the user could find one "best" result that should be better than nothing. By 'best' I mean to say that if your synonym phrase were ideally able to locate say 30 topics, might there be one topic that can serve as a "master topic" to the other 29? If so, it is this topic in which the hidden divs could pay, 'dividends' (no pun intended) :lol: