Linked/unlinked TOC books in HTML5 and PDF outputs

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
Matze
Sr. Propeller Head

Linked/unlinked TOC books in HTML5 and PDF outputs

Post by Matze »

Hi all,
I´m using Flare 11 and generate HTML5 and PDF output.

For using HTML5 breadcrumbs I have to link all of my top level books with their related first topic. So the breadcrumb pathway works and looks fine,
But in the PDF output the first book topic appears twice. By unklinking the books, my PDF output is generated correctly.

Unlinking/linking all books before generating is an annoying workaround ...

By the way, why it is important linking books. Ok, when linked and clicking on it, the book appears automatically with its first topic. Nice so far.
But this cannot be the important reason for this book linking issue, right?

Thanks for your help.

Matze
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Linked/unlinked TOC books in HTML5 and PDF outputs

Post by Nita Beck »

Speaking only for myself, I need more info to help you sort this out. Could you post a screenshot of the TOC, and also for one of the book TOC items that's giving you the duplicates in PDF, could you post a screenshot of the TOC Properties window's Advanced tab? (I'm going on memory, so it might not be called Advanced... But it'll be the last tab of the TOC Properties window.)
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Linked/unlinked TOC books in HTML5 and PDF outputs

Post by devjoe »

If what you have is:

Book Title (linked to topic)
___ Overview (linked to same topic)
___ Other Content of Book (linked to other topics)

Then just put a condition tag on all those Overview topics and exclude that tag from the PDF target.

(If that's not it, like Nita said, post more detail about the TOC structure that leads to your problem.)

As far as why it's important to link books, it's a design choice. Personally I avoid linking books because it makes it impossible for users to dig inside the book to see the subtopics without loading a new topic, but for some help systems that may be desirable.