Printed output generation question

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
jkpalmer
Propeller Head

Printed output generation question

Post by jkpalmer »

Hi,

Working on getting autonumber to work with h1, h2, and h3 when printing authored topics but not printing for "generated" topics.

I have changed h1, h2, and h3 in my "print" medium to have autonumbering
h1 is set to CH:{n+} -
h2 is set to CH:{n}.{n+} -
h3 is set to CH:{n}.{n}.{n+} -

I have created a h1, h2, and h3 class (called nonum) in my "print" medium to not have autonumbering

My PDF publication should have the following:

Title Page
Table of Contents - (h1 should NOT have auto numbering)
"authored topics" (all should have autonumbering)
Glossary - ("generated topic" - h1 should NOT have auto numbering)
Index - ("generated topic" - h1 should NOT have auto numbering)

I have the Title Page, Table of Contents, and "authored topics" working properly. My issue is with the Glossary and Index. They are both generating a header that appears as:
1 - Glossary
1 - Index

Where can I change these to use my style of h1.nonum?

Jim P.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Printed output generation question

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

The way to do this is to create topics for both your index and your glossary and insert the relevant proxies in the topics, rather than using the automatically generated items. I suspect you've already done that for your TOC because it comes after the title page, so it's exactly the same thing. In each topic add your "Index" or "Glossary" heading and apply h1.Nonum there.

As a little extra trick, and not something you even asked about, you could try this.
Rather than creating three styles (h1.Nonum, h2.Nonum and h3.Nonum) you can create a generic style called just .Nonum which you can apply to any heading you like. The generic style should just contain the single attribute that's different. That kind of thing helps to keep your stylesheet a bit easier to maintain. (I have .KeepWithNext and .PageBreakBefore that I can use to adjust the formatting for PDF outputs and I use those generic styles on headings or <p>s if I need to do a bit of tweaking.)
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
BrianBXYPRO
Propeller Head

Post by BrianBXYPRO »

I have a compliment and a question.
jkpalmer wrote: I have changed h1, h2, and h3 in my "print" medium to have autonumbering
h1 is set to CH:{n+} -
h2 is set to CH:{n}.{n+} -
h3 is set to CH:{n}.{n}.{n+} -
I just wanted to say thank you! :D I've been struggling with getting the paragraph numbering in my print outputs working and this finally did the trick. And now my question. Several of the other threads I read say to do autonumbering like this:
H1 = CH:{chapnum}
H2 = CH:{chapnum}.{n+}
H3 = CH:{chapnum}.{n}.{n+}
However, when I try it this way I get this:
1 (Heading 1 in first topic)
1.1 (Heading 2 in first topic)
5 (Heading 1 in second topic)
1.6 (Heading 2 in second topic)
8 (Heading 1 in third topic)
1.9 (Heading 2 in third topic)
10 (Heading 1 in fourth topic)
1.11 (Heading 2 in fourth topic)
etc.
(It's a consistent pattern but not remotely what I want. :o ) So, other than to cause me grief what does the "{chapnum}" variable do? I've gone through Flare's docs (http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare12/ ... amples.htm and http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare12/ ... graphs.htm) and they say to use it but when I do so it never works right. I've also checked the TOC settings for the topics and they are correct.

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Flare ( :flare: ) v12, Windows 10
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Chapter numbers are reset whenever the build process encounters a new chapter in the TOC. To set chapters open the TOC, Open its properties dialog, and set the Chapter on the Autonumber tab.

jkpalmer's code looks to be what you need, it users the chapter number then a series of incrementing counters for each heading level. If, however, the chapter number increases you might need a different autonumber style (using the same autonumber variables) that resets the autonumbering back at one.

For example:
MultiLevelList.PNG
The code used to create this list is:

Code: Select all

.NewList
{
	mc-auto-number-format: 'A:{Gn=1}.0 ';
}

.FirstLevel
{
	mc-auto-number-format: 'A:{Gn+}.0 ';
}

.NextLevel
{
	margin-left: 5em;
	mc-auto-number-format: 'A:{Gn}.{Gn+} ';
}
Hope this helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
BrianBXYPRO
Propeller Head

Post by BrianBXYPRO »

Steve,
Thanks for responding so quickly!
SteveS wrote:Open its properties dialog, and set the Chapter on the Autonumber tab.
In my TOC I have all chapters >1 set to Increment number. I can set Chapter 1 to "1" or Increment number and it works either way.
jkpalmer's code looks to be what you need, it users the chapter number then a series of incrementing counters for each heading level.
That's correct -- his solution work beautifully. I guess I'm just curious why every single example on the Flare's autonumbering examples page (http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare12/ ... amples.htm) and on the forums (e.g., viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18647&p=97918) that use the "{pagenum}" variable do not work for me. :(

Brian
BrianBXYPRO
Propeller Head

Post by BrianBXYPRO »

I finally figured out how to get the "chapnum" variable to work by opening my TOC in the internal text editor instead of double-clicking it and using Flare's default TOC editor. Once I saw it there I realized I had misunderstood Flare's documentation. Here's the now-working version of my TOC:
chapnum-issue-fixed071116.png
My misunderstanding was that the "BreakType" parameter only needed to be set once per section. In other words, like this:
Chapter 1: Break Type on the Printed Output tab set to Chapter Break and Chapter Number on the Auto-number tab reset to 1
Chapter 2: Break Type on the Printed Output tab set to None and Chapter Number on the Auto-number tab set to Increment number
Chapter 3: Break Type on the Printed Output tab set to None and Chapter Number on the Auto-number tab set to Increment number
etc.
Appendix A: Break Type on the Printed Output tab set to Chapter Break and Chapter Number on the Auto-number tab reset to 1
Appendix B: Break Type on the Printed Output tab set to None and Chapter Number on the Auto-number tab set to Increment number
Appendix C: Break Type on the Printed Output tab set to None and Chapter Number on the Auto-number tab set to Increment number
etc.
Now that I know, it works fine now. :D

Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.