How do I change heading "TOC" to "Table of Contents"?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

How do I change heading "TOC" to "Table of Contents"?

Post by mattf »

I'm using a template Flare supplied that gave me an HTML5 web layout and a PDF layout all handy in one project. The trouble it saved me in setting up page layouts etc. was worth it, but being an old fuddy-duddy, I'd like to change the TOC heading from "TOC" to a more staid and conservative "Table of Contents". Trouble is, this heading seems to be generated as part of the conversion of the TOC proxy to a generated TOC in the build process. I don't know where it lives and can't find it. I looked in the p.TOC styles but they are for the actual TOC levels, not the heading. There's a "Madcap|tocProxy" style, and I thought maybe the heading would appear as an autonumber setting or something, but I perused the settings and no cigar. I looked for some other way to view TOC proxies, no luck. I'm out of ideas. Help?
2016-06-21_9-04-59.png

Thanks,
-Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: How do I change heading "TOC" to "Table of Contents"?

Post by Nita Beck »

Matt,

How are you generating the table of contents in your print output? You either have a topic in which there is a heading and a TOC proxy OR you have selected in your print target the option to have Flare automatically generate a TOC. If the latter, then you cannot change "TOC" to "Table of Contents".

The purpose of those various "auto-generate a TOC, Index, Glossary, yada yada" options in a print target is to provide a super-quick way to add these items, without having to create topics that hold the various proxies. But in exchange for that quickness, one cannot edit those items or decide where in the print output those things will end up.

So, if you want to change "TOC" to "Table of Contents", don't use the target's "auto-generate" option and instead have a topic in which you have "Table of contents" as the first bit, followed by a TOC proxy. Then make sure to put that topic on the TOC associated with the target.

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by mattf »

Thanks Nita!
I get what you're saying, but I'm sure I'll be back when I need help making the TOC page take the right page layout and styling the "Table of Contents" heading so that it doesn't show up in the TOC. :)
-Matt
Matt F
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

I'm curious - what Flare template did you use? When I have used the auto-generate option I so get "Table of Contents", so it might be set somewhere in the template.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

mattf wrote:Thanks Nita!
I get what you're saying, but I'm sure I'll be back when I need help making the TOC page take the right page layout and styling the "Table of Contents" heading so that it doesn't show up in the TOC. :)
-Matt
That's an easy one. Create a new style called h1.Contents and set mc-heading-level to 0 (zero) for the new style.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by mattf »

Thanks Choice -- I knew that trick at one time but it's been a while since I've used it.
Margaret -- The template I used was one of the two "Tripane with PDF" options, but I can't remember whether I used the Basic or Advanced. My hunch is Basic.

-Matt
Matt F
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

OK - I can see the problem with the Tripane-PDF-Basic skin.
It looks like "TOC" is a default but you can change it - not obvious though.

In the Project pane > Advanced, you can add what's called a "Language skin". This lets you change some language strings for print output.
I had to create a skin for this sample template (right-click in Advanced ...). Open it and look under "Print and Online" for the TOC Item (it says Accordion item, which I think is misleading) and change the value to what you want.

What adds to this issue, is that I usually work with Word output rather than PDF directly. I created a sample project from that template and made a Word target copied from the PDF one, and the default came out as "Table of Contents" - so it looks like there is some back-end defaults being set that is not very standard.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

wclass wrote:OK - I can see the problem with the Tripane-PDF-Basic skin.
It looks like "TOC" is a default but you can change it - not obvious though.

In the Project pane > Advanced, you can add what's called a "Language skin". This lets you change some language strings for print output.
I had to create a skin for this sample template (right-click in Advanced ...). Open it and look under "Print and Online" for the TOC Item (it says Accordion item, which I think is misleading) and change the value to what you want.

What adds to this issue, is that I usually work with Word output rather than PDF directly. I created a sample project from that template and made a Word target copied from the PDF one, and the default came out as "Table of Contents" - so it looks like there is some back-end defaults being set that is not very standard.
Wow, that's some sleuthing! Who'd've thought that to change something in print output one would need to change something in a skin (a construct used for online output) and that that something would be called by the online output-centric term "Accordion"?
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I'd do something a bit simpler, and create a new page layout that includes the "Contents" heading on the first page, create a Contents topic in my TOC that just contains the TOC proxy, give that topic a chapter break and set it to use the Contents page layout, set the next topic to a chapter break and set it to use the page layout you want to use for everything else. No need to go anywhere near the skin at all.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

Nita Beck wrote:...
Wow, that's some sleuthing!
I will admit to reading it in a help file some time ago. I had experimented with the automatic TOCs and came across a few problems. When I read about language skins I could only think Huh?? and I had to keep reading. While I think of myself as experienced, there is still a truck load of stuff just in that Advanced tab, that I still have to learn.

cheers.
bill b
Propeller Head

Post by bill b »

just found this! Amazing...
You are def a propellus maximus.

thanks for sharing this. It saved me a lot of effort.

Bill
bunnycat
Propeller Head

Post by bunnycat »

Wow, am I glad this thread was here! Talk about a non-intuitive place to put an element that we should be able to edit freely on a PDF target, or just a style. Yeesh. I would never have thought of adding a language skin (none of my projects had them because it was using the default). Only after looking into the Flare-supplied Manual project did I see that they had one defaulted to default English (US).

I know the auto-generated TOC and such are supposed to be "easy mode" but to automatically assign an abbreviation to something that might conflict with style guides is a little weird.

My colleague just asked "why does it always come out as TOC? Can't we change it to "Contents" or "Table of Contents"...

Learn something new every day.
-CAT