Newbie Capture Profile question

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
JanetAlbers
Jr. Propeller Head

Newbie Capture Profile question

Post by JanetAlbers »

I'm starting out with Capture v7 and am either not understanding what Profiles do or don't have it set up quite right.
I have ProfileA setup, it includes a bubble with a red border. I capture a screen shot using that profile and edit the bubble to include some text and move it to the correct position.
Now I create a new ProfileB that is a clone of ProfileA except the bubble has a blue border.
I thought I could apply ProfileB to my image and it would change the bubble from red to blue. That's not what I'm seeing. When I apply ProfileB, my red bubble disappears and a blue one appears in the wrong location without the text. I've tried all the options, do not apply the profile shapes, add profile shapes, replace profile shapes (I thought this would be the one), and replace all shapes.

Am I doing something wrong setting up or applying profiles? Or, is this not what profiles are intended for?

Thanks, Janet
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Newbie Capture Profile question

Post by doc_guy »

The idea behind Capture profiles is to allow you to pre-select some settings and have them automatically apply when you take a Capture. When you right-click on an image and open the "File Properties", these are the things that you would set in your image profile.

For example, I have one profile I use for capturing full-size images that I will use in my documentation site. I have settings in the profile that set the background scale, a 1px border, have the image save as a PNG for the Web medium, and have the image save as TIFF for the Print medium. Also for the print medium, I have a print DPI set which further reduces the image size, but makes for a cleaner image in my PDF output. Further, I have the image save in a particular directory in my project so like images are all located in the same folder.

Whenever I take a screen shot using that profile, all of those settings are automatically set and the image is inserted into the Flare topic without me needing to do any of those manual adjustments.

While I *can* use shapes in a profile, I have not done this, so I can't give you specific advice on what to do here. Instead, I prefer to capture my shapes on a palette, and then drag them onto an image when I need them.

I hope that helps.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

JanetAlbers
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by JanetAlbers »

Thanks Paul.

By the way I watched your webinar on Capture and it was really helpful. Thanks!

I have a Palette set up for the elements we use most frequently, so that will help. I was hoping the Profile feature would save us from having to re-do screen capture mark ups (callouts, etc.) when (not if) our style guide changes. If anyone has suggestions on how to best accomplish that I'd appreciate it.

Have a great weekend!
Janet
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

Hi Janet

In addition to Paul's advice on profiles and palettes, you can use object styles. This lets you pull the style of an object from a palette, and apply it to the selected object in your image. To set it up, put your bubble with a blue border on a palette (put the red one there too if you need to go from blue to red) and save the palette. Then right-click the bubble with a red border in your image, and select Pick Style on the shortcut menu. In the Select Shape Style dialog box, select the palette in the left pane, then select the bubble with the blue border in the right pane and click OK. Your existing bubble is updated with a blue border. This works for "like-for-like" shapes, you can only update bubbles with bubbles, and rectangles with rectangles, and so on. You can use it to quickly change a shape's properties, but it doesn't seem to work on the text in a shape. I'm not sure if that is a bug or a feature.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7