Failed to generate output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
CindyBrockAtlanta
Jr. Propeller Head

Failed to generate output

Post by CindyBrockAtlanta »

I'm generating a WebHelp file and it appears to run ok but at the end of the process it shows, "Failed to generate output." I checked the output and it's fine. What is causing this? (It only happens with this project.) I've attached a screen capture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Kelley
Propeller Head

Re: Failed to generate output

Post by Mike Kelley »

I haven't seen that specific error before so I'm curious to see what others in the community have to say. While we wait, have you tried deleting your output folder and then rebuild? I very much doubt that would fix the issue, but that's generally the first troubleshooting step when getting build errors. Also, is there any useful information in the Warning or Errors tabs?
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Does the Warnings or Errors tab provide any more information?
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
jzayac
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jzayac »

Mike Kelley wrote:I haven't seen that specific error before so I'm curious to see what others in the community have to say. While we wait, have you tried deleting your output folder and then rebuild? I very much doubt that would fix the issue, but that's generally the first troubleshooting step when getting build errors. Also, is there any useful information in the Warning or Errors tabs?
I had a similar issue when trying to preview and build a project for online help. I kept getting a "Failed to compile document: Access to the path < > is denied." I deleted the output folder, saved, and tried again and it worked! Thanks for the tip on build errors.
paintedturtle
Propeller Head

Post by paintedturtle »

CindyBrockAtlanta wrote:I'm generating a WebHelp file and it appears to run ok but at the end of the process it shows, "Failed to generate output." I checked the output and it's fine. What is causing this? (It only happens with this project.) I've attached a screen capture.
I've had this problem when I forgot to set the correct Table of Contents and I was foolishly building from an empty one, no output was generated. But did it generate output anyway for you, just giving an error message?
Technical Writer using and experimenting with Flare version 12.0.5991.
Jon Paradise
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Jon Paradise »

This is an old entry, but in case someone comes across it now, this might help.

I'd previously used File Explorer to browse to a PDF that I'd then right-clicked and emailed from the destination directory when I received the "Access to the path... is denied". Closing all instances of File Explorer fixed the issue for me.