Build that includes only a few files

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
ghillerson
Propeller Head

Build that includes only a few files

Post by ghillerson »

I have a large Flare project with a number of targets and TOCs. When I create or update a topic or group of related topics, I build a "review" version and ftp-publish it to an internal site for the engineers to review.

The issue: my topics include links to other topics, which include links to other topics, and so on. As a result, the build ends up including hundreds of topics. Is there a way to tell Flare to only include the topics that I've rewritten?
emsachs
Propeller Head

Re: Build that includes only a few files

Post by emsachs »

If you just need a content review, you could build your target in a print format like PDF or word (assuming the engineers can access it). Obviously that has limitations -- for example, if your review site is set up for HTML, that might not work. Also they can't review how it looks -- there will certainly be strange formatting if you don't have any css for print.
ghillerson
Propeller Head

Post by ghillerson »

Yeah, I know that and can do that, but they (and I) prefer the online version, which looks exactly like the production version. My project takes 15-20 minutes to build, and anytime I add more than a few topics for review, most of the project gets linked in, so the build takes a lot longer, and the ftp-upload takes a lot longer.

Sure seems like it would be easy to include a "don't include linked topics" flag, knowing that the output will be limited.

Thanks for your response
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

You can do this with conditions.

I created a new Condition Tag set with only 2 tags - reviewON and reviewOFF.
Using the file list, apply reviewOFF to every topic.
When you want to want to create an output for review, assign reviewON to just those topics that you want, and build the target where you include the ON and exclude the OFF tags.
By creating a separate tag set, this will not interfere with any other tags you might normally use. After the review, create your webhelp as normal, ignoring both of these tags - there is no need to delete them.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
ghillerson
Propeller Head

Post by ghillerson »

Margaret,

Thank you so much!

gary