No width optional break?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
mdeanne
Jr. Propeller Head

No width optional break?

Post by mdeanne »

Hi,
I used Arbortext Editor for several years (almost a decade). I and am at a different company that was using Word, but is converting to MadCap Flare. I'm a team of one (Technical Communicator). I called customer support to see what is the equivalent of the No Width Optional Break, and the representative is researching it. I know this exists in Arbortext, too, but can't remember what it is called. Anyway, I know it is possible in XML. Does anybody here know how to implement that in Flare?
Thanks!
Don Barwick
Propeller Head

Re: No width optional break?

Post by Don Barwick »

I was just trying to find out how to add a "no width optional break" too. I'd love to know if Flare support got back to you with the answer.
mdeanne
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by mdeanne »

It is an "enhancement request" now. I haven't heard an update, but haven't seen the "no width optional break" appear yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 8)
Paulie
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Paulie »

Hi there,

You can insert the zero-width space code (​) directly into the text editor.

Note, if you navigate away from and then back to the Text Editor tab, any zero-width spaces that you entered will not be visible (as they are zero-width), but they are still there.
"In an ideal world, software should be simple, well designed, and completely intuitive to end users. In the real world, good documentation is king."
Don Barwick
Propeller Head

Post by Don Barwick »

Many thanks Paulie. I had actually tried that and was convinced it didn't work because a) I could no longer see ​ in the text editor and b) when I previewed the topic as PDF the text didn't break. But following your advice I tried again and built a full PDF document, and the text wrapped fine.
nielsf
Propeller Head

Post by nielsf »

Doesn't work for me:

This is in a table cell:

Code: Select all

Udbetalingssystem.Summer.Kørsler .BehandlingAfStatsafgiftsindberetningssvar
Note the space in front of ".Behandling..." - that's the zero space. Then why does it not wrap there..?
I copied the text above from the generated PDF. In actual fact, the PDF wraps like this:

Code: Select all

Udbe-
talings-
system.Summer.Kørsler.BehandlingAfStatsafgiftsindberetningssvar
Note: No space. And the style that it is wrapped in is ignored by the spell checker. Why, then, does it attempt to hyphenate the text? And according to what rules? And why not in the spot that I want it to (no, I don't want to add exceptions to stuff like that). Very annoying.
-Niels
-----
Flaring in Copenhagen, Denmark