Version number in PDF output file name

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Bart Bogaert
Jr. Propeller Head

Version number in PDF output file name

Post by Bart Bogaert »

I would like to use the new feature in Flare 12 which allows me to use variables to format the name of an output file.

The filename would be formatted as follows:
[%=EVSMaster_LocalVariables.ProductName%]_[%=EVSMaster_LocalVariables.ModuleName%]_[%=EVSMaster_LocalVariables.DocumentType%]_[%=EVSMaster_LocalVariables.ProductVersionNumber%] (e.g. MAD_Application Monitor_User Manual_1.6). The product version number consists of 2 digits, e.g. 1.6.

However, when I generate the PDF file, the filename only contains the first digit, '1'. The '.6' part is not included. If I enter 1,6 as product version number and then generate the PDF file, then '1,6' is included in the PDF filename. Is this a bug? Or do I have to use special characters for Flare to include the entire product version number in the PDF filename? Thank you for your reply.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Version number in PDF output file name

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I have found that if you have a dot in a PDF filename, then the PDF extension is added right after the dot, whatever comes after it. It's not just when using variables.

I suggest that you use an underscore or a hyphen instead. Not perfect, but I've found it an acceptable solution.

:)
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Bart Bogaert
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Bart Bogaert »

Great, thanks for the tip!
whunter
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by whunter »

I found that if you include the extension in the Output File name, then the content after the dot in the variable is preserved.

So if the Output File is defined as just [Variable], then the content after the dot is stripped and the extension is added after the dot. But if the Output File is defined as [Variable].pdf, then the variable content is preserved in total.