Workspace already exists

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Workspace already exists

Post by RamonS »

Trying to bind a project to TFS source control. After entering the TFS connection URL I want to select the Project Path, but clicking the ellipsis browse button gives me this error (I anonymized the error message)
---------------------------
MadCap Flare V11
The workspace computername;username already exists on computer computername.
OK

Any advice on how to overcome this problem is greatly appreciated.
MattyQ
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Workspace already exists

Post by MattyQ »

I saw this error most commonly when the TFS workspace is configured to be a Local workspace -- Flare doesn't recognize it's a Local Workspace and keeps trying to bind back into the same workspace over and over.

I would recommend starting with your workspace configuration in TFS. You should be able to identify whether the workspace is Local or Server -- in order to work properly with Flare, it needs to be Server.

Another time I saw this arise was when Flare was trying to bind to a path that was already defined in the workspace folder mappings. To memory, this occurred because someone copied the project to a new path and attempted to open it back up. Because Flare will rewrite the folder mapping, it tried to, but the path had, I believe, previously belonged to another project, and so it gave the error that it already exists.

But yeah, I would start with the Local workspace issue and go from there.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

That did the trick! After changing the workspace to server it all fell into place as expected.
Thanks!!
MattyQ
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MattyQ »

Glad that worked, Ramon! =)
dtmenges
Propeller Head

Post by dtmenges »

This sounds exactly the problem I am having with Flare 13 and TFS. I have access to Visual Studio but don't know where to make the change. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

I have a call into the developer that administers TFS but would love to tell him I solved the problem.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Open Visual Studio and select File > Source Control > Advanced > Workspaces... In the Manage Workspaces dialog select the one that you are using and click Edit. In the Edit Workspace dialog click Advanced >>. From the Location drop-down select "Server". Click OK, click Close.
Hope this helps.