Renaming conditions

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
joel7
Propeller Head

Renaming conditions

Post by joel7 »

Is it possible to re-name conditions and not break everything for a given output? For example, say I have a condition called "China" and I want to rename it "Vietnam", can I do this and have it ripple to every topic in the project?
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Renaming conditions

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

joel7 wrote:Is it possible to re-name conditions and not break everything for a given output? For example, say I have a condition called "China" and I want to rename it "Vietnam", can I do this and have it ripple to every topic in the project?
You can only do it by using search-and-replace in all your topics. So, for example, you have a condition tag set called "Countries" and in it a tag called "China". In the topics it appears as MadCap:conditions="Countries.China"

So you need to do a search and replace in the code for MadCap:conditions="Countries.China" and replace it with MadCap:conditions="Countries.Vietnam". And make sure your condition tag set does actually contain a condition tag called Vietnam, of course.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
joel7
Propeller Head

Post by joel7 »

Thanks, that's what I figured. I would strongly suggest this as a feature enhancement for Flare, I will bring it up when I am at MadWorld.
Audrey Fisher
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Audrey Fisher »

Nonsense! This is something I just did in my project today.
To change the name of a condition tag, do the following:

1. go to Project Organizer.
2. select Conditional Text folder.
3. open the relevant condition tag file in the Conditional Text folder. A table of information will appear: "Condition Tag", "Background [color]", "Comment".
4. click on the NAME of the condition tag you want to change the name of: That's in the Condition Tag column, folks; not just anywhere in the line will do.
5. Here's the magic: now hit the F2 button. The highlighting will disappear from the name cell, and a vertical editing bar will appear.
6. change the name as desired.
7. press Enter.
8. if your file contains links to other files, you will be asked if you want to retain those links. If so, click Update Links.

-Audrey Fisher
magval
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by magval »

Audrey,

this does not always work. I had to rename a condition lately and even after asking FLare to update all the links I discovered that some topics still had the old conditional text form.
I'd recommend you approach, followed by the search and replace to be on the safe side (especially if you have a multi products, multi languages, single sourcing projet ;))
Audrey Fisher
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Audrey Fisher »

Magval, I like the combination approach you recommend--using Flare's automated technique to do most of the heavy lifting first, then cleaning up with a manual search. Thanks for discovering that the technique I posted doesn't always catch everything....guess it's time for me to go do a search!

Audrey
aneedell
Propeller Head

Post by aneedell »

Just a quick update. I used Audrey's approach today and it worked perfectly: no clean up needed. Perhaps MadCap has really fixed this perennial source of irritation in the product updates over the past few years.