Column usage in html5 vs PDF

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
the documentator
Jr. Propeller Head

Column usage in html5 vs PDF

Post by the documentator »

Hi,

I am writing instructions with supporting pictures. I was given a request to show the picture to the right of the step's information.

I did this in Word and FrameMaker and was hoping to not have to it again. :(

My company is using MadCap Flare. I am using the top-nav format. I currently have the image directly below the step that is expandable in online and prints normal side in PDF.

Is it possible and how much work would it be to move the image to the side for PDF output only?

I want to dismiss the request out of hand, but I must do the due diligence.
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Column usage in html5 vs PDF

Post by cdschroeder »

In your stylesheet, select the Print medium (at the top of the stylesheet editor). You can then add the float: right attribute to that image style for print only. It will automatically apply to all images using that style, so you don't have to modify each one manually.
Casey

Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

cdschroeder wrote:In your stylesheet, select the Print medium (at the top of the stylesheet editor). You can then add the float: right attribute to that image style for print only. It will automatically apply to all images using that style, so you don't have to modify each one manually.
Your answer is technically correct, but I fear it won't give satisfactory results without some other CSS work.

Say there is Step 1 with a picture to right, Step 2 with a picture to right, Step 3, etc... With the float attribute on the image style, we'll end up most likely with Step 1, Step 2, and maybe even Step 3 all wrapping to the left of the Step 1 image, with the other images being pushed down...

To follow on with your suggestion, the list style used for the step list items should have the "clear" attribute set as well, either "clear: left;" or "clear: both;" (I can't recall...).
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

Thanks for the correction, Nita. I totally forgot about that side of things - I'm a little embarrassed. Can I attribute that to today being Friday? ;)
Casey

Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

cdschroeder wrote:Thanks for the correction, Nita. I totally forgot about that side of things - I'm a little embarrassed. Can I attribute that to today being Friday? ;)
Oh no, no embarrassment! I didn't mean to make you feel that way. Trust me, there have been times when I offer a solution that turns out to be totally wrong! Your solution wasn't necessarily wrong, just not complete...

And I totally hear you about Friday. My excuse today is serious MadWorld hangover (metaphorical) and jet lag and sleep deprivation (real and intense!).
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!