Word target publishing to "web output", PDF publishes fine

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
sumtotaldp
Jr. Propeller Head

Word target publishing to "web output", PDF publishes fine

Post by sumtotaldp »

My group is relatively new to Flare (we used it years ago and have come back recently).

The bulk of our content is published to our new HTML 5 output, and to PDF. However, we have a few documents that are published to Word for our customers (as templates to customize for instance).

However, publishing to Word, the content appears in "read" mode and in "web layout" - but it does not appear at all in the "print layout."

Publishing to PDF is coming across fine, which baffles me.

Any ideas?
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Word target publishing to "web output", PDF publishes fi

Post by wclass »

My first reaction was that Print/web layout was a Word setting so change it there, but on re-reading do you mean that when you generate output, it is not displayed properly in Word? Can you clarify?

Are you giving the target a specific Word file name - by setting the extension to doc or docx? That might make a difference.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
sumtotaldp
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by sumtotaldp »

It is displaying fine in "web layout" and in "read mode". The content does not appear at all in "print layout" - which is where I want it to appear.

If this is toggle or setting somewhere, I haven't seen it - I hope it is that simple though...
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

This could be related to the way DIVs are handled in Word. Flare now puts DIVs into a single cell table. If there is too much text in a single cell table it won't display properly in Word if you have any paragraphs with settings such as keep with next or keep lines together.

Things I would try if it is in a table in Word:
- select all the text and move it out of a table
- select all and clear the Paragraph settings to Keep Lines together, and/or Keep with Next.
- Don't have DIVs in the first place (not really a satisfactory option)
- have a look at this old thread and consider adding the CSS suggested by Support:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27402

Let us know if this helps.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
sumtotaldp
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by sumtotaldp »

The more I investigate, the more I know I need a better understanding of stylesheets and HTML5...

I don't have a lot of DIVs in general and for the most part, the content that is used for print docs are not contained in DIVs.

For instance, here is part of a sample topic:

Code: Select all

<body>
        <h1>Additional Training</h1>
        <p>Looking to get trained up on ...</p>
</body>
I'm not seeing any of the text in a table (other than content that should be in a table) in the Web view in Word.