Error Message: Failed to copy and resize image

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
DocGirl
Jr. Propeller Head

Error Message: Failed to copy and resize image

Post by DocGirl »

While generating Web Help, I receive the following error message for each of my graphics:
Failed to copy and resize image:<full path of image>: Parameter is not valid.

Interestingly enough, the help still generates and displays these graphics just fine. I've looked in the forums for answers to this and can't find anything. Can anyone please offer some insight. Thanks.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Error Message: Failed to copy and resize image

Post by SteveS »

Hi DocGirl,

Welcome to the forums.

Flare sometimes throws error messages during cut, copy, and paste (including move using the content explorer). I've always thought it's due to the internal workings trying to keep track of the location of project resources - linking, as it were.

If the problem recurrs, rebooting will fix it (for a time).

To redusce the likelihood, try to close all the other stuff you have open but are not using (Excel, Access, and other system resource hungry apps are killers). Flare uses the .net frameworks, make sure you have the latest versions. If you are using Window's Update you should be okay.

The other tip is make sure you have a good backup regieme...

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

If the message is during the build though, then it wouldn't be related to copy and paste.

I can't offer any answers, but it sounds like it's Flare is trying to scale the image during the build and hitting a problem.
In the target properties, do you have Generate resized copies of scaled images ticked?

Do you have other options set that relate to images, like Generate "web safe" images?
rkirkhart
Propeller Head

Post by rkirkhart »

I have seen this if my style calls for something like this - td img {max-width: 90%;}. If I change it to 300px, the error goes away.

Also, when there is a style for img, then the auto-generate feature is overridden and it performs the action of creating new images according to support (Alvaro Case 22093). Unfortunately, it doesn't delete the old images. They have confirmed a bug and the tracking number is 39942.

Happy writing!
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

rkirkhart wrote:I have seen this if my style calls for something like this - td img {max-width: 90%;}. If I change it to 300px, the error goes away.
Dave Lee wrote:In the target properties, do you have Generate resized copies of scaled images ticked? Do you have other options set that relate to images, like Generate "web safe" images?
none of these solutions fix the same problem for me, even setting to 300px! it is funny that i would have this problem here and not in other projects because my stylesheet is always the same. the images look fine in the output, but there are still errors.
kristil
Propeller Head

Post by kristil »

I seem to be having the same issue. I prefer to set my images to a percentage, because I've got div tags set up via my master page, and I've got my related links off to the side.
However, it just doesn't feel right not to resolve the errors I'm getting in the build.
Did anyone find a solution for this?
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

I gave up for now :)
it doesn't stop the build, and i don't work with that project every day, so i'm waiting for someone else to fix it!
DocuWil
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by DocuWil »

I ran into the same problems today and I resolved it by disabling the option 'Generate resized copies of scaled images' in the tab Advanced of the Target output.
Maybe this helps for you too.
Wil Veenstra

Documentation and Training Centre
Infologic Nederland
(Using Flare 11.1.2, Capture 7.0.0 and Mimic 7.0.0 in Windows 10 64-bit)
CatVancouver
Propeller Head

Post by CatVancouver »

Hi all,
In 1 of my projects, I'm suddenly getting the "Failed to copy linked file: the specified file could not be encrypted" message.
It is a photo front for a pdf - i.e., I drop it into a decoration frame behind the title page. Normally this works and my other photo fronts still work in other projects, so I don't know why this has suddenly shown up.
I have tried it with and without image compression set to 'downsample'.
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
___UPDATE__ After talking to Tyler in Maintenance.
So I think what happened was there was a change to my log on environment - which was SUPPOSED to be SEAMLESS that must have changed how/where some of my stuff is in Flare's 'mind'.
For most of my images (screenshots) and even other photo fronts in other projects, it wasn't a problem, but for this one, it was.
Maybe I was using this one when they did the switchover? I don't know.
So I lost all the photo-fronts and logos here.
But if I re-input the images under new names and then on the page layout (.flpgl) I right-click and browse to attach the new image to my decoration window, it works.
An odd error, but there is a way to fix it.