Another Font Awesome Question

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
bangmaster
Propeller Head

Another Font Awesome Question

Post by bangmaster »

So, I applied a color tag to my .fa tag, but what do I do if I want two different colors for .fa? I'd apply a normal class, to it, but when I add the .fa tag it looks as follows:

<i class="fa fa-commenting" aria-hidden="true"></i>

The i tag already has a class, so I can't put another one in, can I? Any help would be appreciated.
djohnson
Propeller Head

Re: Another Font Awesome Question

Post by djohnson »

In general, yes you can apply multiple classes to any tag; in the example, both "fa" and "fa-commenting" are separately-defined classes. So you could write

Code: Select all

<i class="fa fa-commenting my-color-class" aria-hidden="true"></i>
This will apply three tags: fa, fa-commenting, and my-color-class. Keep in mind that cascading rules will apply; individual style definitions in my-color-class will override the same styles if they are defined in fa.

If your CSS looks like this

Code: Select all

i.my-color-class { color: yellow; }
i.fa { color: red; background-color: green; }
then your Font Awesome icon will display as yellow-on-green.

The biggest drawback to applying multiple classes to any tag is that they are not carried over to print output; if you want to use Font Awesome in PDF output, you will need to define a single class with all the styles that you want to include.
Don Johnson
Flare 2020r3, Windows 10 in a Parallels VM on a 16" MacBook Pro [as of March 2021]
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I *strongly* encourage you to watch this recorded webinar in its entirety. It is well worth the hour you'll spend. Mike Kelley offers fantastic guidance on font iconography, using Font Awesome in particular:

http://www.madcapsoftware.com/webinars/ ... e-outputs/
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
bangmaster
Propeller Head

Post by bangmaster »

That worked perfectly. Thank you, Don. Appreciate the link, Nita. I'll check it out.