HTML output that mimics the book

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
trishe57
Propeller Head

HTML output that mimics the book

Post by trishe57 »

Hi all,
Windows 7, Flare 12.0.5591

Here is the story. Our primary output is print. We have procedures that are headings plus sub topics. They all flow together in the print output.

I've been asked to make the same thing happen in HTML5.
Parent topic = H3 plus some content
Subtopics are h4 plus some content

So on one web page, I want
h3
h4
h4
h4
What I currently get is one topic per page.

How do I keep the subtopics together with the header (parent topic)? I've read thru the help (quickly) and I don't see an answer to this. I probably missed it.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: HTML output that mimics the book

Post by Nita Beck »

As far as I know, there is no automatic way to have Flare generate one .htm file in HTML5 output from multiple source topics (several .htm files). The only way you are going to get what you call a parent topic and its subtopics into one .htm file in your output is by putting them together into one source topic in Flare. The fact that the parent topic and subtopics seem to flow altogether in PDF output is simply a function of there not being page breaks to separate them.

I'm sure this isn't what you were hoping to learn. If others know of a way, please weigh in!
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
trishe57
Propeller Head

Post by trishe57 »

Thanks Nita. I was afraid of that.
Trish
subquark
Propeller Head

Post by subquark »

It sounds like it would be a lot of work and IF you were planning on combining pages (topics) into one page so that you'd have a similar output as a book, you might be able to use snippets.

Either way will have you going into each page but here's what I'm thinking.

Open each topic, select all content and make that into a snippet - name the snippet the same as the page name (or numerically, or a combination of both).

Then you'd create a new page and place all the snippets in it, in order, to make one long page.

It's just a thought off the top of my head and would not mess up what you have now, it would simply add a page that is your HTML output.

Do keep in mind that a "big" page will be a big load for the end user.
trishe57
Propeller Head

Post by trishe57 »

Thanks Subquark. I have been contemplating the work-arounds, such as snippets. Also playing with hyperlinks that open as popups, which is proving sub-optimal.