TOC entry label using variables not displayed

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Pepe
Jr. Propeller Head

TOC entry label using variables not displayed

Post by Pepe »

Hi All,
Just read the help file "Changing the Label for TOC Entries" but for some reason it doesn't work for me. I have variables in my topic title (h1) and I would like this to be reflected in the TOC entry. When I set the topic label to use [%=Heading.Level1%], the topic has no label. System variables are displayed correctly (for example [%=System.LinkedTitle%]).
Can anyone reproduce this behaviour? Am I not doing it correctly?
Thank you.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: TOC entry label using variables not displayed

Post by LTinker68 »

Do you mean when viewing it in the editor, or after generating the output?

I think I did run into something similar when I changed the text in an H1 but the TOC in the editor didn't reflect the change. Then I noticed a little refresh button in the corner of the TOC editor. After pressing that, I saw the updated heading in the TOC. I think I tried closing the TOC and reopening it and that didn't work, but the refresh button did. (I haven't opened Flare in a couple of weeks, but I'm pretty sure I used a refresh button.)

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Pepe
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Pepe »

Thank you Lisa,
The refresh button doesn't update the display in the TOC editor. So to recap, in the TOC editor, the tree view displays no label if I use variables (system or heading). The grid view displays the variables in the title column.
The html output is as expected if I use [%=System.LinkedTitle%] but if I use [%=Heading.Level1%], the html output is [[[Undefined variable Heading.Level1]]].
I'm using Flare 2017 R2 (13.2.6355.27565) - It would be good to know if it's an issue with this version of Flare or just my machine.
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

Pepe wrote:Thank you Lisa,
The refresh button doesn't update the display in the TOC editor. So to recap, in the TOC editor, the tree view displays no label if I use variables (system or heading). The grid view displays the variables in the title column.
The html output is as expected if I use [%=System.LinkedTitle%] but if I use [%=Heading.Level1%], the html output is [[[Undefined variable Heading.Level1]]].
I'm using Flare 2017 R2 (13.2.6355.27565) - It would be good to know if it's an issue with this version of Flare or just my machine.
For the record, I can reproduce this issue in 2017. The Title variable works for me, but the Heading variables result in a blank TOC item, as you have described. Seems buggy to me!
Casey

Pepe
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Pepe »

Thanks Casey. Now that you have confirm that this issue can be reproduced, I have reported it to MadCap support.
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

Pepe wrote:Thanks Casey. Now that you have confirm that this issue can be reproduced, I have reported it to MadCap support.
No problem. Happy to help!
Casey

Pepe
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Pepe »

The reason there was nothing displayed by the book icon is that, while "experimenting", I had set the TOPIC title to [%=Heading.Level1%]. This is "not supported" (even though it's possible).
I then focussed on setting the book LABEL to [%=Heading.Level1%], for which the html output was [[[Undefined variable Heading.Level1]]] and later [%=System.LinkedTitle%] for which there was no display but a correct output.

After removing the TOPIC title (topic properties > topic properties > leave Topic Title field blank), the TOC editor picked up the Linked Title variable. Problem solved, thank you MadCap support :)