Out of memory errors when building HTML5 Output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
sanjsrik
Sr. Propeller Head

Out of memory errors when building HTML5 Output

Post by sanjsrik »

Hi all,

I'm seeing the following error messages in my build log when I generate my output. The images are all .svg but still show up even though the following error message is shown ANY TIME an image is referenced in any of my topics:
Failed to copy and resize image: C:\HelpVisto\Visto\Content\Resources\Images\Info.svg: Out of memory.
Failed to copy and resize image: C:\HelpVisto\Visto\Content\Resources\Images\Info.svg: Out of memory.
Failed to copy and resize image: C:\HelpVisto\Visto\Content\Resources\Images\Warning.svg: Out of memory.
The images ARE displayed correctly in my output. The topic is a listing of all the icons used in the application as a reference topic. However, other places where the images are used for notes or warning or more information, I'm getting out of memory issues as well.

Any help would be most appreciated.
chrispitude
Propeller Head

Re: Out of memory errors when building HTML5 Output

Post by chrispitude »

I'm getting this too, with 2017 r2. Images seem to be fine in output, but the messages are troubling. Does anyone know what this message means?

Edit: I filed a bug with testcase; I will let everyone know what their response is.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

I don't know what it means but a couple of observations:

1. Madcap have never been overly helpful with their error messages or warnings.
2. The images listed are vector images.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Someone posted in a different thread that they were having problems with SVG files, then discovered it worked if they used SVG 1.0 files. I don't remember the discussion -- if it was related to errors or not being able to build or something else. Unfortunately I've been catching up with reading a lot of posts, so I don't remember where it was I saw that one; otherwise, I would post a link to it.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
chrispitude
Propeller Head

Post by chrispitude »

I received the following response:
MadCap Technical Support wrote:I was able to reproduce this issue and saw it in the build log on my end. Looking more into this issue I found that this is because Flare does not have enough memory to proccess and resize the image so it will use the source image. However, since the output is still producing your images, this warning can be ignored.
I pushed back and insisted that this was not a bug. (If this tool is running out of memory on an 8GB laptop with a 2kb SVG file, then something is very very wrong.)
chrispitude
Propeller Head

Post by chrispitude »

Alright, the response to that was:
MadCap Technical Support wrote:Looking more into this issue, although you do have 8GB of memory and enough to process these images, Flare does not have access to all of that memory and therefore produces that warning.
That is a completely nonsensical answer. Does anyone have advice on how to get past a "bad answer" in a support case, specifically in getting to someone more knowledgeable?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

There is some truth to it. Of the 8GB RAM the OS takes a good chunk plus several other applications. Flare does not get access to all the memory in the system.
If you do not like the answer write a letter to the CEO...I've done it a few times with other companies and it had a positive effect.
chrispitude
Propeller Head

Post by chrispitude »

RamonS wrote:There is some truth to it. Of the 8GB RAM the OS takes a good chunk plus several other applications. Flare does not get access to all the memory in the system.
If you do not like the answer write a letter to the CEO...I've done it a few times with other companies and it had a positive effect.
It's not that I don't like the answer; it's that the answer is incorrect. I've done plenty of software development myself, including memory management code. With 8GB of physical memory plus the paging file, Flare has access to (and CAN allocate) many gigabytes of memory.

*Every* single SVG file in my project issues the "out-of-memory" message, even tiny little 1kb ones with a couple basic shapes.

This is absolutely and unquestionably a software bug, and for a software company to tell me it's not... well, that's pretty disappointing.
chrispitude
Propeller Head

Post by chrispitude »

Finally! Confirmed to be a bug:
MadCap Technical Support wrote:Looking more into this issue, it appears that deselecting the "Generate resized copies of scaled images" option does prevent any out of memory warnings that you previously received in the build log.

While having this option selected, I have confirmed that this is a bug in Flare. Please note that I have documented the bug #54191 and reported this on your behalf to our development team. You will be notified via email if a resolution for this is included in a future patch or release version.