Editor tips and tricks?

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
chrispitude
Propeller Head

Editor tips and tricks?

Post by chrispitude »

Hi everyone! I figured I'd start a thread for us to share tips and tricks regarding the XML/text editor. In fact, for my first post, I'm soliciting your tricks!

First, is there a way to merge identical tags that are adjacent to each other? For example, consider the case where I delete text between two boldface words. How can I get the boldface tags to coalesce without editing the text source?
coalesce_tags.gif
Second, how do I copy and paste a duplicate bullet into a list? It keeps pasting indented a level, and I can't figure out how to remove that level without (again) editing the text source?

Various copy/paste attempts:
duplicate_li1.gif
Copy and paste, then use shift-Tab to attempt to push the list level back:
duplicate_li2.gif
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paintedturtle
Propeller Head

Re: Editor tips and tricks?

Post by paintedturtle »

chrispitude wrote:
Second, how do I copy and paste a duplicate bullet into a list? It keeps pasting indented a level, and I can't figure out how to remove that level without (again) editing the text source?

Various copy/paste attempts:

Copy and paste, then use shift-Tab to attempt to push the list level back:
I often copy and paste just my paragraph node from the LI and then paste into a LI (with or without an empty paragraph node) and then it won't make a new sub-list. You're actually copying and pasting the OL/UL with the bullet in the above example and that's why it doesn't work like you want it to. :)
Technical Writer using and experimenting with Flare version 12.0.5991.
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

Another way to paste the list item is to right-click the item adjacent to where you want to put it in the list and click Paste Before or Paste After. If you have copied a list item, or even multiple list items (as long as you didn't copy a whole list's ol or ul tag instead), this always works.

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for your other problem. You can cut all the text from one tag and paste it into the other, but that's clunky.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I am now in the habit of splitting my screen and having the text editor open a little bit at the bottom of the screen so I can edit the code with ease.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
chrispitude
Propeller Head

Post by chrispitude »

ChoccieMuffin wrote:I am now in the habit of splitting my screen and having the text editor open a little bit at the bottom of the screen so I can edit the code with ease.
This is a great idea!
chrispitude
Propeller Head

Post by chrispitude »

By the way, I used the following program to capture screen activity as an animated GIF:

http://www.screentogif.com/

I highly recommended it! The developer (Nicke) is a nice guy, and he is responsive to enhancement requests too.
paintedturtle
Propeller Head

Post by paintedturtle »

ChoccieMuffin wrote:I am now in the habit of splitting my screen and having the text editor open a little bit at the bottom of the screen so I can edit the code with ease.
ChoccieMuffin, can you tell us how to do that? It's genius and I'm not genius enough to figure out how to set that! Thanks!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

paintedturtle wrote:
ChoccieMuffin, can you tell us how to do that? It's genius and I'm not genius enough to figure out how to set that! Thanks!
At the bottom of the XML Editor there's a grey bit with three dots on. Click and drag the three dots upwards, and lo and behold, you have the text editor in the bottom part and the XML editor in the top. I use it LOADS.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
paintedturtle
Propeller Head

Post by paintedturtle »

ChoccieMuffin wrote:At the bottom of the XML Editor there's a grey bit with three dots on. Click and drag the three dots upwards, and lo and behold, you have the text editor in the bottom part and the XML editor in the top. I use it LOADS.
Yay, thank you! I and the Tech Writer who sits next to me are soooo excited by this! Will save us loads of time!
smajors
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by smajors »

I'm curious what program you use to make gifs such as the ones you included in your post? I've never made gifs nor have a budget to purchase a new program but would like to know what's available. Thanks!
Technical Writer
Training & Development Team/Marketing Department
chrispitude
Propeller Head

Post by chrispitude »

smajors wrote:I'm curious what program you use to make gifs such as the ones you included in your post? I've never made gifs nor have a budget to purchase a new program but would like to know what's available. Thanks!
See the post from Apr 27, 2017. It's a program called ScreenToGIF, and it works great - and it's free!
Wendy_Pod
Propeller Head

Post by Wendy_Pod »

My new favorite, F8 - repeat last task. Great when applying the same style/format in multiple places. :)

Also lovely, CTRL+SHIFT+H - quick access to the styles picker/menu.