Applying styles within list elements

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
chrispitude
Propeller Head

Applying styles within list elements

Post by chrispitude »

Hi all,

When I create a new list and start typing inside the list item (

Code: Select all

li
), there is no style at all. I wish it would default to the paragraph (

Code: Select all

p
) style, but it doesn't. And for reasons I don't understand, when the cursor is inside this unstyled list item, the paragraph style is filtered out of both the style drop-down at the top and the style pane on the right.

In addition, I always seem to have trouble trying to manually apply the paragraph style by typing a "p" into the style drop-down on the top. Sometimes it seems like my click in there is ignored, or sometimes I press "p" and nothing happens, etc.

What do you do about the content within list elements ?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Applying styles within list elements

Post by Nita Beck »

This is a commonly asked question. I think you're not so much asking about a "style" as how to nest a paragraph block within a list item.

You can nest paragraph, tables, divs inside a list item. The simplest action is either to right-click the list item in which you want to nest a paragraph and select Make Paragraph Item(s) or, with the cursor in the list item, press Ctrl+; (semicolon).

To learn about the general technique, review this Flare help topic: http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... _Items.htm. Although it discusses notes and cautions within a list, the general principle can be applied to other kinds of content within a list.

I also have it on good authority that MadCap will soon post a Madblog article on working with lists that covers the same techniques, written by our forum member Jessica Nealon. I'll keep my eye out for it and post the link when it's published.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
chrispitude
Propeller Head

Post by chrispitude »

Nita Beck wrote:You can nest paragraph, tables, divs inside a list item. The simplest action is either to right-click the list item in which you want to nest a paragraph and select Make Paragraph Item(s) or, with the cursor in the list item, press Ctrl+; (semicolon).

To learn about the general technique, review this Flare help topic: http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... _Items.htm. Although it discusses notes and cautions within a list, the general principle can be applied to other kinds of content within a list.
This is exactly what I was looking for - thank you!

I had searched the online help and found topics about creating lists and creating multi-level lists, but my search had not led me to the topic above. Great stuff.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

If it is just a matter of styling (where you want your <li> to look like a <p> but with a number or bullet in front) then in your stylesheet you need add the attributes you want to the <li> tag.

I try to keep my topics as clean as possible, so I only have <p>s sitting inside a <li> if I want to have more than one paragraph in the list item, otherwise I just have my words sitting happily in a <li>. So do have a bit of a play in your stylesheet, as doing it that way saves you clicks as you're writing because you don't have to add paragraph items to lists.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Paul Griffiths »

FWIW, I do the opposite of ChoccieMuffin for pretty much the same reason. All of my li elements have p elements so I don't have to worry about how they are formatted separately. Admittedly, without Ctrl+; it would be more of a pain.