Save Workspace Layout

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
Cal Wilson
Propeller Head

Save Workspace Layout

Post by Cal Wilson »

Can someone tell me how to save the workspace layout and have it restored each time I start Flare?

I configure the Window such that the TOC Editor is displayed in the workspace. I want the TOC Editor to be displayed, at least as a tab each time I start Flare. Instead, I have to open the TOC each time from Project Organizer.

On the Window tab, I have saved the layout with a custom name. The named layout appears to be loaded each time Flare is started. The named layout appears to be loaded as it is checked on the Layout menu. However, the TOC is not opened.

On the Window tab, I have saved my preferred layout as the Default, overwriting the existing Default. When I restart Flare, the TOC is not visible.

To make the TOC visible, I have to reload the layout or open the TOC from the Project Organizer.

How can I ensure the TOC is opened each time I open a project?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Wendy F
Propeller Head

Re: Save Workspace Layout

Post by Wendy F »

Did you ever get an answer to this? I'm asking the same question.
chrispitude
Propeller Head

Post by chrispitude »

Also interested in the answer (I have the same problem).
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

A TOC, or more precisely, the TOC Editor, is not a pane or window, as other UI constructs are, such as the Styles window or the main panel where editors open by default.This is a fundamental difference with, say, RoboHelp, for which there is a TOC panel that is a permanent part of the UI.

I believe that if you want your layout change to "stick," you'll have to set the Flare option to Auto-Reload Documents. If you don't have that set, Flare can't automatically open your TOC file upon launch.

I do commiserate with you, though, about the convenience of keeping the TOC Editor open and loaded with the primary TOC. Good candidate for a feature request.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
lcence303
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by lcence303 »

This used to work. I would save my layout with the TOC in the left pane stacked above the Project Organizer and Content Explorer tabs, so that each time I opened Flare, my TOC was right there, waiting for me. Doesn't work like that anymore, unfortunately. Now I have to go into the Project Organizer, find the TOC, open it, and drag it over to the left pane every single time I open Flare. Really annoying.
Humanaut
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Humanaut »

Is there a reason why the location of the TOC cannot be saved and restored with windows layout?
For me to manually open and reposition TOC every single time I am opening a project is annoying and a real waste of time. It is the first and most visible flaw my customers are complaining when trying to resell FLARE.
So, maybe there is a reason why this feature has not got "fixed" now for years. Then please tell me, or get into the gears to fix it, please!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Humanaut wrote:Is there a reason why the location of the TOC cannot be saved and restored with windows layout?
For me to manually open and reposition TOC every single time I am opening a project is annoying and a real waste of time. It is the first and most visible flaw my customers are complaining when trying to resell FLARE.
So, maybe there is a reason why this feature has not got "fixed" now for years. Then please tell me, or get into the gears to fix it, please!
Hi Humanaut.
This is a peer-to-peer forum, so anyone replying on here is not a Madcap employee but a customer, just like you.
I suggest you (and anyone else who finds this annoying) add a feature request, in the hope that Madcap will pay attention to our requests and will finally sort it. It seems that the more requests there are, the higher up the ToDo list it goes.
:)
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Nick A
Propeller Head

Post by Nick A »

As a new user in the demo period, I would say that the Layout system does not work at all. I have setup my preferred set of floating panels across two monitors, and saved the layout with a specific name - just as I would in FrameMaker. However, if for any reason I change the layout, then attempt to reload my named layout from file, Flare does nothing. My saved window layout does not reappear, despite the toolbar showing that my named layout is now selected. This is a major UI bug for a mature program that costs so much. Even my open source (completely free) Blender program handles its complex window layouts perfectly.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

On the Window tab of the ribbon do you have the "Auto-save Layout" check box selected?

That might not be the problem but worth checking.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx