How to copy updated TOC file to HTML5 output

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
TR Lisa
Sr. Propeller Head

How to copy updated TOC file to HTML5 output

Post by TR Lisa »

Moving my built project to our servers takes 10+ hours. So I need a way to copy only a few locally-updated and built files to the server output. Not a problem with topics. But I can't find the fltoc file in the output. How can I copy an updated TOC to existing output?

Thx.
Lisa
Paulie
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: How to copy updated TOC file to HTML5 output

Post by Paulie »

Hi Lisa,

It's been a long time since I played with this, but I think the TOCs are controlled by files stored in the Data\Tocs folder of your output directory. Note, that there may be multiple Data\Tocs folders, one for each subsystem folder.
"In an ideal world, software should be simple, well designed, and completely intuitive to end users. In the real world, good documentation is king."
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

I'd suggest using Publish to copy the files to your server, and use the destination setting Upload only changed files.
TR Lisa
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TR Lisa »

Thanks for the replies. I can't use Publish because we have file names that are too long thanks to some heavily nested content folders and really long file names. It breaks the publish and the fix I read about requires a version of Windows I don't have and can't get. I had looked in the output Data/TOC folder but only see js files there.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

TR Lisa wrote:Thanks for the replies. I can't use Publish because we have file names that are too long thanks to some heavily nested content folders and really long file names. It breaks the publish and the fix I read about requires a version of Windows I don't have and can't get. I had looked in the output Data/TOC folder but only see js files there.
Those js files contain the TOC data.

(If you look in the Data folder, you'll see Flare uses js files for a lot of data - I think the reason is something to do with Chrome browser compatibility.)
TR Lisa
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TR Lisa »

I had tried looking in the js file to see if I could update the TOC manually, but in Notepad it didn't show any TOC data so assumed I was wrong about it being there. I don't know anything about js really so will have to look in to what can open and edit those files. Thanks.
TR Lisa
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TR Lisa »

Just found what looks like TOC text I can edit in one of the chunked js files. I had not checked the chunks, nor do I know anything about chunks, but here we go. :)
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

TR Lisa wrote:I had tried looking in the js file to see if I could update the TOC manually, but in Notepad it didn't show any TOC data so assumed I was wrong about it being there. I don't know anything about js really so will have to look in to what can open and edit those files. Thanks.
I thought you were just going to copy the TOC files (i.e. the js files) to your server; so why do you want to open and edit those files?

It's perhaps worth testing this on two local projects first, i.e. copy the version you have on your server locally, replace the js files, see if that works.

Depending on what version of Flare you're using and what HTML5 skin you're using, it may or may not work.
TR Lisa
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TR Lisa »

Hi Dave. I wasn't entirely sure a straight js copy from one build to a different build would work, because I know 0 about how js files work. But I will try it both ways, and if a straight copy works that would be fantastic.