Issues after changing Webhelp output folder - Nightmare!

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
KLM848
Jr. Propeller Head

Issues after changing Webhelp output folder - Nightmare!

Post by KLM848 »

I'm fairly new to Flare, and it appears I've done something terribly wrong.

After inheriting a Flare project from another writer, I changed the output folder in the Webhelp target to a location on my local drive. After generating a build, a bunch of resource files were duplicated and are now located in Content Explorer (see attached screenshot). As a result:

* the topics display two lines of breadcrumbs.
* the index entries have disappeared altogether.

I'm sure this is an amateur mistake, but despite my best efforts, I cannot figure out how to fix it. The breadcrumbs issue makes sense (though I still cannot resolve it), since the skin file now resides in two different locations in the project. But the index getting wiped out has me stumped completely. I've run out of ideas, so please, if anyone has any advice to share, please do share!

Also, any tips/best practices for sharing projects between two writers would be appreciated as well.

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Issues after changing Webhelp output folder - Nightmare!

Post by SteveS »

How did you rearrange the folder structure? If you do it from within Flare the links should automatically update, but if you do it within File Explorer you will break the links...

Do you have a backup from before moving the content?

If you have two writers the best approach is to use source control. This prevents people working on the same document at the same time as well as providing a backup regime where you can find, view, and reinstate previous versions.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: Issues after changing Webhelp output folder - Nightmare!

Post by Psider »

I wonder if you changed your output folder to be the same as your source folder, and have now generated your output into your source files.

If so, I think reverting to your backup would be the best (maybe only) solution.