Can conditions or variables help white label output?

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
khennessy
Jr. Propeller Head

Can conditions or variables help white label output?

Post by khennessy »

We have a customer using my company product that wants to white label our documentation output, meaning that they want to replace any branding references and colors with their own. I can think of a few labor intensive ways to do this, like just having a separate project for their branding, but I'm wondering if it's possible to really leverage single sourcing and use condition tags and variables to determine the output. I can ask our DevOps team to create a separate AWS S3 bucket (where we host our website content from, I believe) if necessary, and generate a slightly different URL for that customer to use to access content - what I'm wondering is if there is a way to publish one project with one set of variables and conditions to one bucket or target, and the same project but with other variables and conditions to another bucket or target, so that the same project produces different "looking" branded content depending on which target is used? Or is there another way to get this result with one project?
Forgive me if the terms aren't exact.....I'm a writer, not an engineer. :) Just wondering if there's a way to achieve this without manually creating and maintaining separate projects. Any help would be appreciated.
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Can conditions or variables help white label output?

Post by devjoe »

You should be able to do this.

You create multiple targets in a project. Once you have turned all the changing things in your source into variables or formatted them with conditional text, you can make a copy of your target and set the conditions and variable values for the other target.

I have not been publishing to AWS, so maybe somebody else who has can chime in, but you should be able to set up separate publishing details for each target.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Suggestions depend on how your branding and colours are included in the project.

I would think you could probably have different targets for your own version and your client's version. I am assuming you have page layouts (for print outputs) or master pages (for help). If you have different master pages and page layouts for you and your client, you can point to the relevant one from the target.

If you use variables, you can edit the variables in your client's target. For example your might have a variable set MyVariables and a variable CompanyName. In the main variable set that might be MyCompany, but in the target on the Variables tab you can change the value in the MyVariables set of CompanyName from MyCompany to ClientName.

Does that cover most of your requirement?
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
khennessy
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by khennessy »

ChoccieMuffin wrote:Suggestions depend on how your branding and colours are included in the project.

I would think you could probably have different targets for your own version and your client's version. I am assuming you have page layouts (for print outputs) or master pages (for help). If you have different master pages and page layouts for you and your client, you can point to the relevant one from the target.

If you use variables, you can edit the variables in your client's target. For example your might have a variable set MyVariables and a variable CompanyName. In the main variable set that might be MyCompany, but in the target on the Variables tab you can change the value in the MyVariables set of CompanyName from MyCompany to ClientName.

Does that cover most of your requirement?

^^ This sounds like it will do what I need - thank you so much! I will play around and update on results once I have something.

Thanks for the time to send input, it is appreciated!