Best place to condition topics?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Zerozeddy
Propeller Head

Best place to condition topics?

Post by Zerozeddy »

I am trying to exclude some topics from an online help system. As well as the TOC, the topics appear in relationship tables.

I was assuming if I applied the condition to the topics just in the TOC it would exclude them in all scenarios, but this doesn't work as they are still picked up in the reltable and appear in associated topics. I tried applying the condition to the topics within Content Explorer and that made no difference either.

My conclusion therefore is I have to put the condition in both TOC and reltable. Is that right?

(And in what circumstances do Content Explorer conditions work?)

(And I now wonder what the difference is between "not using Content folder in output" and "Exclude content not linked directly or indirectly"... I guess I DO want to exclude indirect links.)

Andrew.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Best place to condition topics?

Post by NorthEast »

To exclude a topic from the help output, you just need to set the condition on the topic, AND make sure that condition is set to Exclude in the target you're producing.

If you've checked that, then the only way the topic could still be included is if you have set multiple conditions on the topic, and one of those conditions is set to Include in the target.
An include overrides an exclude, if both conditions are on the same thing.
Zerozeddy
Propeller Head

Post by Zerozeddy »

Ah, but when you say "set the condition on the topic" where do you mean? TOC or Content Explorer?

Actually I've just retried. Conditions in Explorer worked, TOC didn't (i.e. yes excluded from TOC, but still appeared as reltable links in other topics).

Anyway, obviously my previous experiment was flawed! Thanks for your help.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Condition a topic in the TOC excludes the topic from appearing in the generated Table of Contents, but the topic is still within the output, so you can search for it.

Condition a topic in the Topic Properties screen will exclude it from appearing in the generated TOC and the generated content, so you can't search for it in the output.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

LTinker68 wrote:Condition a topic in the TOC excludes the topic from appearing in the generated Table of Contents, but the topic is still within the output, so you can search for it.

Condition a topic in the Topic Properties screen will exclude it from appearing in the generated TOC and the generated content, so you can't search for it in the output.
Ma'am...

Long time, no see!
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.