Add Custom Content to Header

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Add Custom Content to Header

Post by NorthEast »

It doesn't look like the stylesheet is being applied, so:
(1) Check that the stylesheet set in the script exists: Content/Resources/Stylesheets/skin.css
(2) Check that your target does not use the setting: Advanced > Exclude content not liked directly or indirectly from the target. That will exclude the stylesheet from the output.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Post by pdenchfield »

Thanks, Dave. After adding (3) below, I got it to work!
(3) If your target uses the setting Advanced > Do not use "Content" folder in output, then modify the CSS reference in the toolbar javascript by removing "content/".
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

RESOLVED - Re: Add Custom Content to Header

Post by pdenchfield »

In case anyone is curious - here's the steps I followed. Previously I had the "Exclude content..." option selected. Clearing that option resolved the issue.
1. Add a variable to control the product name used in the output.
2. Update skin used by my target to use metaname reference to toolbar javascript.
3. Update master page used by my target to remove product name in breadcrumbs.
4. Create a skin file that applies tsyles to the metaname reference in the toolbar javascript.
5. Update the target:
* Skin tab: make sure updated skin is selected (the one updated in step 2)
* Variables tab: overwrite product name variable for this particular output
* Advanced tab:
> clear check box for "Exclude content not linked directly or indirectly fromo the target" - if this box is checked, then the skin created in step 4 is omitted from output, which results in the product name by the logo not being styled.
> add the following to the text box for "Add meta tags to content" (defines metaname that is referenced by toolbar javascript in skin):
<meta name="header-title" content="[%=YOURVARIABLEHERE%]" />
> Master Page: select the updated master page from step 3
NOTE: The skin.css reference in the toolbar javascript assumes that "Do not use "Content" folder in output" is checked.
bwait
Propeller Head

Post by bwait »

Hey folks,
I am implementing Dave Lee's well-documented approach to customize a tripane header. For some reason, the Title does not pick up the skin.css for style or positioning. The title is flush left and obscured by the logo.
Any ideas why this is not working? I followed the instructions and used the default javascript provided. The logo is coming from the skin via Styles -> Header -> Logo.
Thanks!
Brad
Last edited by bwait on Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bwait
Propeller Head

Post by bwait »

Solved! I missed the second page of this forum thread that solves my problem. As Pamela explained:

clear check box for "Exclude content not linked directly or indirectly from the target" - if this box is checked, then the skin created in step 4 is omitted from output, which results in the product name by the logo not being styled.

I unchecked that box and everything is working as designed. Thanks Pamela and Dave!
-Brad
scap
Propeller Head

Post by scap »

Thread necro...
Dave Lee wrote:
AlanKearns wrote:It worked for tri-pane help, but when the browser width is shrunk to mobile/tablet width, the custom text disappears. I'd be grateful for suggestions on making the custom text behave like the default logo, that is to display across all three views.
I've written some instructions on how to do this for the tri-pane skin, with an example project.

You can find it here - there's a section on how to add text to the main header (desktop medium) and responsive header (tablet/mobile mediums).
http://ukauthor.esy.es/SkinMods/Default.htm#Add-Header.htm
This works really well for me, except that the search bar on the right of the page gets shifted down, partially covering the content bar.

Any idea how to resolve this, Dave?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scap
Propeller Head

Post by scap »

Update, I fixed this by adding the following css to the end of skin.css:

Code: Select all

.search-account-container
{
	top: 4px;
}
I don't know if this will break anything else though.
scap
Propeller Head

Post by scap »

On a related note, I can only get the title to appear if Target > Advanced > Content to include is set to All content.

If set to Content linked directly or indirectly from the target, Flare doesn't pull it in to the built output. It presumably isn't clever enough to scan Skin > Toolbar > Custom JavaScript to hunt for content, so it doesn't know we need skin.css.

Is there a way to force Flare to add a specific file to an output?