Translating Variables

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
Madeline
Propeller Head

Translating Variables

Post by Madeline »

hi,

I'm after some clarification on how variables are translated when using Lingo. In Lingo what I see to be translated is the flvar file which has the default setting for the variable not what's been set on the targets I'm translating. I contacted support and they indicated I need to include any definitions I want translated in the variable set not on the target. I have a variable for each manual name which I set on the target for that manual. Following the approach suggested by support I need to specify them all in the variable set even though each one is only relevant to one target? That doesn't make sense to me. What do other people do? I'm bundling xlf files to send to a translation company.

Thanks
Madeline
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Translating Variables

Post by Nita Beck »

Madeline, here's the same response to your question that I posted in the #flare channel of the Write The Docs Slack community:

In the variable set itself, you can create "variable definitions" for the three definitions of "Machine Name". Then, in each target, you can select the appropriate variable definition from a drop-down list, which will show your three definitions. (FWIW, this is relatively new functionality in Flare, sometime in the last year or two.) So, MadCap is correct, that you can put all of your definitions directly in the variable set, and then your translator can translate them all in one place, rather than (how it was done in the past [and still can be done, for those using the old method]) having to go into each of your target files and translate the definition there.

For more information on "variable definitions," see the Flare Help: http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... iables.htm

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!