Subversion: Existing Files Show as Pending Add

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
servobot
Propeller Head

Subversion: Existing Files Show as Pending Add

Post by servobot »

One of our authors noticed that every file in his project suddenly showed up as "Pending Add". We've seen this happen many times before and I fear the consequences of checking in the pending adds. I fear we could overwrite work.

When this happens, I generally tell folks to delete their working copy and reimport the project from SVN, because of my fear that we could hose something. Our authors are getting frustrated with this workaround.

Does anyone have any ideas about might cause a bunch of files that have been under source control for weeks or months would suddenly change state to "Pending Add"?

Is it safe to just check these in? I dislike this option because Flare's SVN integration is incredibly slow on large projects. Checking in one file in the affected book can take minutes. Hundreds of Pending Adds might take hours.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Subversion: Existing Files Show as Pending Add

Post by Nita Beck »

Yes, I've seen this, though less frequently in Flare 9 than I used to see it in Flare 8. (And I reported it, several times, to MadCap.)

Flare's source-control cache can get corrupted and it loses track of the real state of files (checked in, checked out, etc.). I think I've solved the "everything's an Add!" simply by closing Flare and then reopening the project. However, I think there is also a way to delete its cache so that it builds it anew, but, alas, I forget how. I'm really sorry that I can't recall, and I don't want you to inadvertently mess things up even more. Therefore, I suggest you contact MadCap for the correct method to rebuild the cache.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
servobot
Propeller Head

Post by servobot »

Thanks, Nita! I have been over-complicating this.

I also see this problem less in Flare 9. In our environment, the problem seems to be concentrated with writers who check files in and out less frequently.

I am obsessive about it, so I very rarely see the problem.
purrplexity
Propeller Head

Post by purrplexity »

I just had this happen to me with Flare 2017 r3. The files won't commit at all. I have restarted Flare, restarted my computer, shut my computer down and went off and sulked for 20 minutes, and nothing works. I wouldn't mind so much if I hadn't recently made just a few little updates and now don't remember what all of them are. Just wasn't sure if anyone else has had this issue in the most recent release. It's certainly frustrating!
karent
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by karent »

Hi, we had the same commit issue using flare Flare 2017 r3 and integration with GIT where the commits were being purged locally. If someone knows how to delete the source-control cache that would be very useful!
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by oceanclub »

Did anyone ever get a reply on this? I'm currently running into continuous problems with using Subversion with Flare (version 12 in our case) - freezing, being unable to add empty folder, checkins not working but no error being shown - so if deleting a cache might work, would love details.

P.
Mdmonarrez
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Mdmonarrez »

I'm having a similar issue, but I'm using 2018 r2. There's another forum topic about all files in a project showing as pending add. Does anyone have a solution to this issue?