Need input on best way to add a "see also" section

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
ktbCA57
Sr. Propeller Head

Need input on best way to add a "see also" section

Post by ktbCA57 »

Hi,

So I've always had a "See also" section at the bottom of every topic in online help. I need to do that in my newest project, but i'm thinking there is a better say to add it other than having to add it to each topic as I have always done in the past.

Adding it to the Master Page doesn't work because if i add the area in the Master, I can't see it in the Topics so that i can add content to that area (i.e., hyperlinks to related topics in the projects). The powers here do not want me to use the Side Menu format... and i really need this section to be more flexible - so that i can add my own content each time.

I was thinking of adding a proxy to the master that would allow me to set up the format for the "also see" section... that will then allow me to add content for each topic. However, I've not worked with proxies much so I'm not sure if this is the best method. Also, I'm not sure what kind of proxy to add for this small section at the bottom of every topic.

I would appreciate some input and ideas regarding this process.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Need input on best way to add a "see also" section

Post by doc_guy »

Are you talking about the "See Also" control that MadCap calls "Related Topics"?

(You add this one by going to Insert > Help Control > Related Topics Control; then you edit the control to add the topics that you want to link to)

Or do you use some other method to created your related topics?

One way you might consider that is different is to use Relationship Tables. These are a standard DITA feature that Flare also supports. You put the Relationship Table control onto your master page, so it shows up on all your topics. Then you use the Relationship Table editor (Project Organizer > Advanced > Relationship Table) to edit how the topics link together.

Here is a list of help topics in Flare that talk about Relationship Tables.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

ktbCA57
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ktbCA57 »

Well... I hadn't been using any of these... but I'm going to review the info you sent and see if I can figure out how to use them! Thanks!
jmcgill
Propeller Head

Post by jmcgill »

I tried Related Topics and Relationship Tables, but found that they weren't doing the trick for me. I wanted my "Related Topics" to contain the list of topics that appeared in the user guide and in the order of the user guide TOC. I created a topic containing links to the user guide topics. Then, used a snippet to add a Related Topics button to all those topics. This Flare project provides the online help for an application and generates over 50 separate PDF user guides - so I have 50+ Related Topics.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

A mini-toc proxy might also work for you. Note they work differently between online (based on TOC sub-entries) vs pdf (heading levels)