XLIFF bundle

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
Dave1975
Propeller Head

XLIFF bundle

Post by Dave1975 »

Hello all,

I will be sending an XLIFF bundle out of Lingo to our translation agency to have our operator manual created in Flare translated to 12 languages.

At this point I have two questions:
  1. I would like to send the XLIFF with just the source language and let the agency do all the rest. As I had to select target languages when creating the Lingo project, the software however creates 12 different language files for every topic in the project. Is there a way to avoid this or is it normal behaviour?
  2. After selecting the target in the Flare project that I would like to have translated, Lingo also imported a bunch of other topics from other targets that are probably linked in some way but do not belong to this particular target and do not need to be translated at this point. Will they actually be in the "to be translated" part of the XLIFF that is sent to the agency?
thanks

regards

David
Uwe Schwenk
Propeller Head

Re: XLIFF bundle

Post by Uwe Schwenk »

David,

in regards to your questions:

For 1, yes this is the normal behavior, when you create a project it will create files for each language. As for 2 if you export by target, it will pull all files necessary to compile this target. Thats one of the strenghts of Lingo so you dont miss anything because especially with Flare projects that can become an issue. If certain files are not to be translated, you either let the vendor know not to translate them or do not include them into the XLIFF Bundle.

Regards,
Uwe Schwenk
L10N Coordinator
Dave1975
Propeller Head

Re: XLIFF bundle

Post by Dave1975 »

Hi Uwe,

I find it very strange however that Lingo pulls in files from the Flare project that are in my opinion in no way linked to the target I selected for the import. They are not in that target's TOC, they are not linked to by hyperlinks or cross refs,...

The only thing they have in common is the CSS.

Of course I can just delete the files in the exported XLIFF ZIP but I would like to take on this issue at the root instead of using workarounds.

I actually found out by coincidence when I received a quite expensive quote from the translation agency :mrgreen:

regards

David