PDF output organized as parts with chapters

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
ginak
Jr. Propeller Head

PDF output organized as parts with chapters

Post by ginak »

Hello,
Is there any way to organize content so that the PDF output appears as follows:
PART I
  • Chapter 1 <h1>
    Chapter 2
    Chapter 3
PART II
  • Chapter 4
    Chapter 5
    Chapter 6
PART III
  • Chapter 7
    Chapter 8
    Chapter 9
I've tried organizing the content in different folders and experimented with section options for print output. I could manage to do this for the HTML output by using an <h1> heading without the auto-number property for "part".
In PDF, if I use similar structuring, the <h1> heading is converted to an <h2> heading output in PDF. Here's an example of what it looks like:
PART I
Thanks!
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: PDF output organized as parts with chapters

Post by devjoe »

It sounds like you have the option enabled (on the Advanced tab of the target) to use the TOC depth for heading levels. If you turn that off, it will leave the headings set however they are in each topic.
ginak
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by ginak »

Thanks. I tried this option (disabling Use TOC depth for heading levels) but the output looks like this now:
Part I
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Part II
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Part III
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9

The topics I'm inserting in the TOC are all <h1> (both parts and chapters). My TOC is organized like this:
Part I
  • Chapter 1
    Chapter 2
    Chapter 3
I do get the HTML output I want.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I have separate topics for the "Part X" bits, which use a different page layout.

When adding one of those, in the TOC open the Properties dialog box for the topic and adjust the Printed Output tab to use a Chapter Break, your Sections page layout, In Section Break group select the Start a new section check box, and on the Auto-numbers tab either on the Section page or the first chapter of that section in the Chapter Number group click Same as previous (to avoid having Part 1, then Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Part 2, Chapter 5)
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx