Problem binding project to TFS in Git

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
williamgwilliams
Propeller Head

Problem binding project to TFS in Git

Post by williamgwilliams »

I have a Git repository set up in TFS:
Bind1.png
The URL of the location in TFS is
http://tfsportal.lionbridge.com/tfs/TFS ... iWillieDoc

I open a Flare project that I want to put under source control, and do the following:

1. Open the project.
2. Select the Project ribbon.
In the Properties section select Project Properties.
The Project Properties dialog opens.
3. Select the Source Control tab.
4. Click Bind Project.
The Bind Project dialog opens.
5. From the drop-down, select Git.

I make these other inputs:
Bind2.png
When I click OK, it starts to copy files (at least the Progress bar says (quickly) something about "Adding files"), but then puts up a Login window:
Bind3.png
The first thing that seems wrong here is that in the "Server" field, it has the location on my own C: drive of my Flare project. Then when I enter my user name and password, I get this:
Bind4.png
I'm not sure what user account it is looking for, whether it's my Flare account, my TFS account, or what. But I've tried all of them, and they all get that error.

Any suggestions? Is that "Server" field supposed to be my Flare project location on my hard drive?

Thanks,

- Willie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
williamgwilliams
Propeller Head

Re: Problem binding project to TFS in Git

Forgot to mention that I'm on Flare 2017 r3 and Visual Studio 2017. I found a forum discussion of a similar problem, where the solution was to change the "workspace" setting from Local to Server. ("Open Visual Studio and select File > Source Control > Advanced > Workspaces... In the Manage Workspaces dialog select the one that you are using and click Edit. In the Edit Workspace dialog click Advanced >>. From the Location drop-down select "Server". Click OK, click Close.") Unfortuanately, that seems to be for an eqarlier version of Visual Studio, and I can't find a "manage workspaces" feature in VS 2017.
williamgwilliams
Propeller Head

Has anyone of you set up source control for your Flare projects using either Git or Microsoft Team Foundation Server as the "Source Control Provider"? (in the Project Properties window)

We are about to give up trying to get it to bind. We tried both the Local and Remote instructions for Step 6 in the Madcap Git guide:

"6. If you are going to bind to a remote repository, select the Remote Repository box, then enter the address
of the repository in the field. If you want to work locally, you can leave this box unselected.
You can enter an HTTP URL or an SSH URL"

I've seen forum entries where a problem with Flare 12 is reported for setup that was working fine up until then. We're on Flare 2017 r3. If someone reports that it's working fine for them, we'll keep trying. Otherwise we'll not do it through Flare, but will copy the Flare project files to a repository and do it just via TFS itself (which is what I've been doing. But it would be nice to cut out that copy step.
Folkie
Propeller Head

Post by Folkie »

Hi, we've started using Git with Bitbucket. It's early days and I'm still at the testing stages but so far it all seems to work as described in the Flare-Git guide and I've been able to bind projects, commit and push etc.

I have the Remote Repository checkbox selected, but the Push on bind checkbox deselected (I push once I've done a bit of tweaking in the project).

We're not using TFS so I don't know how much help it is, but the URL I'm using at step 6 is made up of the following elements:
  • http://
    My user id
    @
    The repository URL
The repository URL our Git/Bitbucket admin told me to use (and that works fine) is the one Bitbucket gave it when I created the repository (the one it tells me to use if I want to clone the repository). It's not just a copy & paste of the one in the web address field when I simply navigate to the repository page - that's a bit different.

It's not TFS, but does that give you any clues?