Stop auto-checking for updates?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
whunter
Sr. Propeller Head

Stop auto-checking for updates?

Post by whunter »

Is there a way to stop Flare from auto-checking for updates when it starts up? I'm not ready to upgrade to v2018 and I'm tired of looking at this dialog. I quickly scanned through the application options and searched Flare help but didn't see anything.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Re: Stop auto-checking for updates?

Post by techwriter31 »

I would like to disable this as well. We have to test each new version of Flare and then roll it out to our TeamCity build agents before writers install it to their machines (so all writers and build agents are on the same version). With the increased number of incremental Flare releases, we often do not immediately install the latest version since it takes time to test it first.
Kellie
GeorgeBell
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by GeorgeBell »

Oh it gets better than that!

When you do install Flare 2018 from the upgrade notice in previous version, it warns you that it need to close Flare. Fair enough. So installation continues to completion.

However if you have added a shortcut to the Windows 10 Start menu, that Shortcut still runs the previous version, and still tells you that there is an upgrade. (It would not exactly be rocket science to add a "Don't show me this again" option.)

As luck would have it, I was on the phone to Technical Support when this happened, and even they were surprised.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

If you add a shortcut yourself the installer/uninstaller has no clue that it exists. I'd object to an installer modifying files that I created. Did you have the previous version uninstalled when you encountered the recurring update notice? If not, I am sure the link did not start Flare 2018. In that case this is WADNAE...working as designed, not as expected.