Question about creating multi-level drop-downs

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
SDWriterClmt
Propeller Head

Question about creating multi-level drop-downs

Post by SDWriterClmt »

I want to nest some drop-downs under other drop-downs, after I have created all the basic drop-downs. How do I do that? The following very simple example might help explain what I want to do.
Flare_nesting_example.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: Question about creating multi-level drop-downs

Post by Psider »

It sounds like right-click > Move into Previous might do what you want.

https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... e-Bars.htm
SDWriterClmt
Propeller Head

Post by SDWriterClmt »

Hmm. I'm not seeing any Move options when I select the node and right-click. ("Select Mode" is just covering Paste.)

BTW, this is Flare 2018, if it matters.
Flare_nesting_example_rtclick.png
Dragging the node to the list directly above will do what I want. But that's kinda of limiting. I want to include them at differing levels without changing the order. In other words, I don't want to physically move anything. Just nest them under a specified above dropdown/heading.
Flare_nesting_example2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

The note says it's not always available, and it might be a feature of a newer version than you have.

How about cutting the dropdown you want to move, arrow up a couple of times until you get a very long blinking cursor about the level of the bottom of the dropdown and paste? The really long cursor should indicate you're at the bottom of the element.

I can't test it out and take a screenshot as my trial has expired. But experiment with arrow up and typing a letter and you should get the idea.
RecPerch
Propeller Head

Post by RecPerch »

I have a lot of nested dropdowns, so I'll discuss what I've done. There could be better ways, but this works for me, so I haven't looked for any other methods :)
  • As you noticed, the "Move" option simply isn't available for dropdowns.
  • As with any nesting, the easiest way is to create the children inside the parent as you go.
However, I've created lots of dropdowns only to realize after-the-fact that they'll work better inside a parent and so used one of the following methods to move dropdowns around.

Method 1: Cut and paste
As Psider said, cut and paste. I create a blank paragraph at the position inside the parent where I want the children to reside. The blank paragraph is simply to give me an obvious, can't-mistake-it target for my children. I then click the child's tag block bar <MadCap:dropDown>. The entire child dropdown should now be highlighted. If you want, use the SHIFT key and click the <MadCap:dropDown> block bars to select multiple contiguous child dropdowns.

So in your example, assuming Bali and Sumatra are contiguous, you would:
  1. Create a blank paragraph inside the "Surfing in Indonesia" dropdown in the appropriate location.
  2. Click the <MadCap:dropDown> bar for Bali.
  3. Hold down the SHIFT key, and then click the <MadCap:dropDown> bar for Sumatra.
  4. With both dropdowns selected and highlighted, cut and paste them into the parent dropdown.
If the children are not contiguous, then you need to cut and paste them into the parent separately. I still create a blank paragraph for each cut and paste, which is helpful if you're pasting a dropdown between two other dropdowns.

Method 2: Create parent around children
Another method is to create the parent dropdown AROUND the children. This is only practical if the children will reside at the bottom of the parent dropdown (i.e., you're not adding children to the middle of a flow).
  1. Before you start, the parent CANNOT already be a dropdown. If it's already a dropdown (and you really don't want to just cut and paste), then select the tag block bar <MadCap:dropDown> to the left of the parent and select "Unbind Drop-Down Text..." In your example, you would unbind the "Surfing in Indonesia" dropdown.
    NOTE: If you have children inside a parent and don't want them there anymore, unbind the parent dropdown. The children stay intact as dropdowns and the parent tags are converted to paragraphs.
  2. Place your cursor before the very first character or object (e.g., a bookmark) in the parent dropdown. This will become the dropDownHead. In your example: Surfing in Indonesia. It's okay if there are paragraphs or lists after the heading text, the children will show up after those paragraphs.
  3. Press and hold the SHIFT key and click anywhere inside the last child dropdown. You are NOT clicking the tag block bars to the left, but inside the dropdown text itself.
  4. Go to the Insert menu and click Drop-Down Text.
    If the "Drop-Down Text" option is not available (it's grayed out), that means your cursor is not at the very beginning of the heading text.
Gary
SDWriterClmt
Propeller Head

Post by SDWriterClmt »

Thanks all! I had to step away from this for a couple of days.

FWIW, I'm running Flare 2018, which I'd installed only a month ago. And I subsequently discovered that "Move" is an option in some situations, but not others. E.g., it's available when selecting a basic paragraph or list item, even within drop-down'd sections. But it's not available when selecting a drop-down head or its whole contents.

Anyway... I will study the info you folks have provided and see which works best. And I'll report back when I can.