Where is default master page explained in Flare help?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
TR Lisa
Sr. Propeller Head

Where is default master page explained in Flare help?

Post by TR Lisa »

Hi. Can anyone point me to where in the Flare documentation it explains what the default master page refers to in topic properties? Thanks!
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Where is default master page explained in Flare help?

Post by SteveS »

Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
TR Lisa
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TR Lisa »

Thanks but those are the topics I read before asking my question :) I don't see mention of "default" master page. Maybe I'm missing it. Always possible!
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Maybe we are reading too much into the default masterpage...

It's exactly that, a default. Usually when a project is created it has one of each of the basics, style sheet, master page and so on. The project will use that masterpage as the default.

When you start modifying the project, you can add your own masterpages. By using project properties you can change the default to whatever you want, and that's where the help files come in.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

If you set a master page for a topic, it'll take precedence over any master page set for the target or project.

If you leave the topic master page as (default) - i.e. don't set a master page - then it'll just use whatever master page is set at the target/project level (target takes precedence).

And if you haven't set a master page at target/project level, then I think it means it won't use a master page at all.

The same applies to topic and master stylesheets.
TR Lisa
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TR Lisa »

Thanks all. So I think the short answer is, the topic master page "default" is whatever is set as master page in the target. But nowhere do I find this explained in the Flare documentation. In the target/master page content I would expect to see something like "this is the default master page for all topics unless you set a different master page in Topic Properties". And in topic properties/master page content, I would expect to see something like "select Default to use the master page for the target". I don't see any of that and I searched several ways. Or maybe if it said Default to Target in topic master page field that would be more clear too.

Given this it's still not clear to me what Default means in the target master page setting, if there are multiple master pages, since no page is marked as primary or default in the Content Explorer.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

TR Lisa wrote:Given this it's still not clear to me what Default means in the target master page setting, if there are multiple master pages, since no page is marked as primary or default in the Content Explorer.
I thought I explained that above?

If you set (default) in the target (i.e. don't set a master page), then it'll use whatever master page is set for the project.
If the project master page is also (default), then it means that topics won't default to using any master page at all.

If the docs aren't clear then tell MadCap.
TR Lisa
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TR Lisa »

Somehow I missed this last reply. But digging in to master pages again today, I don't see a project-level master page. Page layout yes, master page no. At least not in project properties. I believe that's why target default still wasn't clear.
TR Lisa
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TR Lisa »

RESOLVED. I contacted MadCap customer service and was told that the default master page (if you don't select one in target settings) will be the first one alphabetically in your master page list in Content Explorer. Project Properties only has a master page layout setting, not master page, and as we all know, those are two different things.
kathryngz
Propeller Head

Post by kathryngz »

Wow, I would NOT have guessed that (the alphabetical thing), so thanks for asking! You just solved a mystery for me :)

Kathryn