SOLVED: Show both Content Explorer and Project Organizer?

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
skwpt
Propeller Head

SOLVED: Show both Content Explorer and Project Organizer?

Post by skwpt »

I attended a Flare webinar the other day, where the trainer had his Content Explorer and Project organizer sharing the same space on the left side, such that you could see both and their contents. Each used up about 50% of that area. His setup looked anchored in place.

I have tried to duplicate this on Flare 12, but I am not finding a way to resize those panels unless I float. Float doesn't give me the results I want because if I move/stretch my Flare interface, the panels don't stay anchored within that space.

I am surely missing something really obvious, so apologies in advance.
Last edited by skwpt on Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Show both Content Explorer and Project Organizer?

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

No, you haven't missed anything but it's fiddly and when I upgraded my machine recently I took AGES trying to figure it out!

You need to float your Project Organizer window, and then when you drag it to anchor it, drag it to the Content Explorer pane, not the main pane.

Give it a go and shout if that isn't enough of a pointer. I'm not in Flare at the mo so can't give more detail than that right now.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
skwpt
Propeller Head

Post by skwpt »

Thanks, ChoccieMuffin, it looked great until I resized Flare. Here are the steps I took:
  • Clicked Ribbon > View, and selected Content Explorer and Project Organizer (to start fresh)
  • Put Project Organizer in focus (top of the stack).
  • Grabbed the hamburger stack to the right of Project Organizer label to drag it away from Content Explorer.
  • Resized/reduced the Project Organizer window to about 50% height.
  • Placed it on top of Content Explorer.
When I resized the Flare interface, I lost my nice little stack. I don't think I had achieved the wanted result, anyway.
  • The Content Explorer panel (under Project Organizer) was still full size, which I could tell by the fact that I was unable to see its label on the bottom of the panel. (It was hiding behind Project Organizer in its full length.)
  • The second I clicked Dock on the floating Project Organizer panel, it went back to the Accordion Tab layout.
  • I clicked the Pin icon in Content Explorer, but that sent the Content Explorer into the main editing section with all the other open topics.
Now I can't get Content Explorer back to the Accordion Tab layout because that option is dimmed. I can close it from within the editing window, but the second I click ribbon > View and click Content Explorer, it goes back to the editing window.

Dragging it out of the editor and back on top of Project Organizer, and then clicking Dock also puts Content Explorer back inside the editing window. All other options besides Float are dimmed. This is a bummer because I can't drag topics onto a TOC now. :oops:

Apologies for the tiny screen shot. I am working remotely today without my giant monitors, and Flare is very small when viewed on my VM.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Propeller Head

Post by skwpt »

SOLVED.

I wasn't seeing what I needed to see on my teensy VM window. Once behind my two HYOOOOUUUGE screens at the office, I could see the transparent pale blue-grey guides, onto which I dropped the floating element I wanted to anchor down.

Also: page 139 of Flare (12) Touring the Workspace Guide. :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Propeller Head

Re: SOLVED: Show both Content Explorer and Project Organizer

Post by Pernice »

I found I needed an extra step (drag the combined PO and CE to the left of the main window). So, what worked for me...

To dock the Project Organizer and the Content Explorer one on top of the other to the left of the main content area:
1. Float the Project Organizer and the Content Explorer.
2. Drag PO to top of CE (drag mouse pointer to the centre-top icon). Release mouse. This forms a single floating window that contains the PO and CE, one on top of the other.
3. Drag the floating PO/CE combo to left of main window (drag mouse pointer to edge-left icon). Release mouse.