Image print size issue

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Niels
Propeller Head

Image print size issue

Post by Niels »

I am trying to insert an image in a topic just the usual way by using all of the Flare functionality:
Insert image > upload png file > move it to some other resource sub folder (in content explorer) > applying some class.

The following aspects look identical in comparison with other images that are displayed in the same topic without any issue:
  • underlying XML structure/classes
  • image properties in Flare
However, in the print layout, the image does not show (neither in the XML Editor, the preview nor in the generated complete PDF document).

If I open the image in MadCap Capture, I can see one difference (compared to other images that are OK), but this doesn't seem relevant:
The print size in the Medium Web (Default) is set to 0in but in the Medium print it looks OK with a reasonable size setting.
Adjusting this setting does not resolve the issue.
Last edited by Niels on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Niels
Propeller Head

Re: Image print size issue

Post by Niels »

It still seems to be a mysterious issue that keeps occurring (Case 130390). This now also occurs in Flare sources delivered from some external party.
In the preview with an extreme zoom you can see that the image is minimized to the size of a tiny spot:
PrintSizeIssue03-Preview with extreme zoom.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Niels on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Niels
Propeller Head

Post by Niels »

Although I do not understand the root cause of this issue, at least I have found a workaround to quickly resolve this (on a per item basis):
If I open the image directly in Flare, there is an option "Regenerate Captured Image", which resolves the issue.
(Only applicable for some images which have been touched by ever-crashing MadCap Capture)
Paulie
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Paulie »

Hi there,

My guess is that the image has an extremely high DPI value, which is causing the image to appear minuscule on print outputs.
"In an ideal world, software should be simple, well designed, and completely intuitive to end users. In the real world, good documentation is king."
Niels
Propeller Head

Post by Niels »

Thanks for your reply, but no, this is not the case. It happens with many screenshots of a "simple nature".

Follow-up thought:
Is anyone of you a heavy power user of MadCap Capture? For us it keeps crashing regularly and we do not consider it as a reliable tool. If this phenomenon is not common, then maybe we have some extraordinary situation here in Europe....
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

I use Capture a lot, but it doesn't crash. Possibly there is something else triggering that in your environment. Are crashes random, or related to an action, e.g. always crashes on capture, or always when adding an object?
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I use Capture regularly and also don’t experience any crashes with it.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Niels
Propeller Head

Post by Niels »

Some visitors I met at MadWorld have confirmed that they also experience sporadic crashes. There once was a situation when the crash happened always at the same event (I think it was just saving) and back then we reset the installation to resolve this. But after that, still we experienced sporadic crashes without any detectable pattern. As I am currently not using the tool too often anymore, I cannot really say if the situation is better now after our upgrade to 2018.
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ajturnersurrey »

I have used Capture a lot over the last 8 years and never experienced crashes.
The only peculiar behaviour I have seen is with (i) extremely high dpi images which appear to insert into Flare, but don't always render in print targets and sometimes won't display in the XML editor, or (ii) cases where an updated .png file has been added and the old .props file remains.
In case (i) I have to lower the dpi of the image with another program before I can use it in Capture or Flare with any reliability.
In case (ii) I always delete any .props file with a creation date that pre-dates the image, then do a clean set up of the image in Capture.

Your case sounds a bit like type (ii) where a .props file needs deleting. But as it is happening to lots of images maybe you should check your MyProfile defaults are not accidentally causing this. If the default display settings have somehow been corrupted, that might be a regular cause of crashes.
Niels
Propeller Head

Post by Niels »

Well, thanks for all of your tips but I can assure since we are/were newbies, no such extraordinary circumstances apply.
And that is exactly one thing that in retrospect keeps a newbie away. But I am also aware that I am a constant victim of Murphy's Law and no one else ever experiences what I do :)
Niels
Propeller Head

Post by Niels »

In a scientific approach maybe my right question to challenge you would be:
Try to produce such a phenomenon like my screenshot above shows in less than 30 seconds with one of your standard workflows only using Flare & Capture.
Niels
Propeller Head

Post by Niels »

My colleague has recently experienced lots of recurring sporadic crashes with MadCap Flare. Eventually it turned out that this happened due to connection errors with a floating license.

I have not experienced any crashes of MadCap Capture in the recent times, probably since the time that our company introduced new proxies. I assume now that the sporadic crashes were caused for the same reason, i.e. connection issues with the MadCap license server.

Good to know the likely root cause but sad to experience such a flawed architecture with this product MadCap Flare. To me it is an unacceptable state if you cannot properly work offline these days anymore in our hypercloudified world. Same thing is happening with O365...