Merging/splitting topics

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Gamepro
Propeller Head

Merging/splitting topics

Post by Gamepro »

After importing a document from Word I often find some of the pages in my WebHelp output having too much content or too little content. Is there any way to quickly merge topics together or split them up? Thus far I only know how to do it one at a time with old fashioned cut and paste, deleting/creating a topic and manually managing the TOC.
GregStenhouse
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Merging/splitting topics

Post by GregStenhouse »

No easy way from Flare sorry, and it will be quite a job sorting topics manually afterwards (especially if there are a lot of links you need to resolve). It might be easier to work with the word document before you import. Split or merge topics in Word using headings, and then in the import file specify the headings you want to base topics on in New Topic Styles. You could possibly also use the "Split Long Topics" and "Avoid Creating Empty Topics options (under the import file>Options), but this may product undesirable results (e.g. topic breaks where you don't really want them).
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

GregStenhouse wrote:No easy way from Flare sorry, and it will be quite a job sorting topics manually afterwards (especially if there are a lot of links you need to resolve). It might be easier to work with the word document before you import. Split or merge topics in Word using headings, and then in the import file specify the headings you want to base topics on in New Topic Styles. You could possibly also use the "Split Long Topics" and "Avoid Creating Empty Topics options (under the import file>Options), but this may product undesirable results (e.g. topic breaks where you don't really want them).
This is exactly what I've done for big Word imports: get the Word document as clean and "ready" as I can before importing. The less you have to do rejigging in Flare, the better.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

Andrew wrote:This is exactly what I've done for big Word imports: get the Word document as clean and "ready" as I can before importing. The less you have to do rejigging in Flare, the better.
Same here.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
Gamepro
Propeller Head

Post by Gamepro »

Hmm that's disappointing, once you've started condition tags and organizing and editing and everything you don't really want to reimport, otherwise it would overwrite all that. I guess lesson learned for next time I import. Thanks.
armplinker
Propeller Head

Post by armplinker »

I generate data models from complex databases, and save the results to HTML. They are big. It would be very helpful to be able to point at these monsters and tell Flare to split them at a particular tag or class change, say, class="card-body"> in the following (truncated) example excerpted from a257 page generated output. DOing these each 1x1 would take literally forever. I can live with pretty good and cleanup afterwards.... split sequence should be preserved in the topic names:

?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<html lang="en-us" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:MadCap="http://www.madcapsoftware.com/Schemas/MadCap.xsd">
<head>
<link href="file:///C:/Users/armpl/Documents/My Projects/DbSchemaImportTestFull1/Content/Resources/TableStyles/BrM_Table_Style1.css" rel="stylesheet" MadCap:stylesheetType="table" /><title>BrM 6.0.0.1 Full Schema</title>
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, shrink-to-fit=no" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://stackpath.bootstrapcdn.com/boot ... ap.min.css" crossorigin="anonymous" />
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="https://www.dbschema.com/images/favicon.ico" />
<style type="text/css">/*<![CDATA[*/
body
{
font-family: 'Segoe UI', 'Lucida sans', Dialog;
font-size: 11px;
background-color: #f5f5f5;
margin: 10px;
}

/*]]>*/</style>
</head>
<body>
<br />
<br />
<div class="card center keep-together">
<div class="card-body"><a name="ACTMODLS" onclick="window.scrollTo(7000, 3968);return false;" style="cursor: pointer;"></a>
<h4 class="card-title appendix">Table ACTMODLS</h4>
<table class="TableStyle-BrM_Table_Style1" style="mc-table-style: url('file:///C:/Users/armpl/Documents/My Projects/DbSchemaImportTestFull1/Content/Resources/TableStyles/BrM_Table_Style1.css');" cellspacing="0">
<thead>
<tr class="TableStyle-BrM_Table_Style1-Head-Header1">
<th class="TableStyle-BrM_Table_Style1-HeadE-Column1-Header1">Indexes</th>
<th class="TableStyle-BrM_Table_Style1-HeadE-Column1-Header1">Field Name</th>
<th class="TableStyle-BrM_Table_Style1-HeadE-Column1-Header1">Data Type</th>
<th class="TableStyle-BrM_Table_Style1-HeadD-Column1-Header1">Description</th>
</tr>
</thead>
<tbody>
<tr class="TableStyle-BrM_Table_Style1-Body-Body2">
<td class="TableStyle-BrM_Table_Style1-BodyE-Column1-Body2">*<svg width="14" height="14"><use /></svg></td>
<td class="TableStyle-BrM_Table_Style1-BodyE-Column1-Body2"><a name="ACTMODLS.MOKEY"></a>MOKEY</td>
<td class="TableStyle-BrM_Table_Style1-BodyE-Column1-Body2"> varchar2( 2 ) </td>
<td class="TableStyle-BrM_Table_Style1-BodyD-Column1-Body2" />
</tr>

<div class="card center keep-together">
<div class="card-body"><a name="ACTYPDFS" onclick="window.scrollTo(1464, 7184);return false;" style="cursor: pointer;"></a>
<h4 class="card-title">Table ACTYPDFS</h4>
<table class="TableStyle-BrM_Table_Style1" style="mc-table-style: url('file:///C:/Users/armpl/Documents/My Projects/DbSchemaImportTestFull1/Content/Resources/TableStyles/BrM_Table_Style1.css');" cellspacing="0">
<thead>
<tr class="TableStyle-BrM_Table_Style1-Head-Header1">
<th class="TableStyle-BrM_Table_Style1-HeadE-Column1-Header1">Indexes</th>
<th class="TableStyle-BrM_Table_Style1-HeadE-Column1-Header1">Field Name</th>
<th class="TableStyle-BrM_Table_Style1-HeadE-Column1-Header1">Data Type</th>
<th class="TableStyle-BrM_Table_Style1-HeadD-Column1-Header1">Description</th>
</tr>
</thead>