Is the CSS support of the Flare editor documented anywhere?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
EBergman
Jr. Propeller Head

Is the CSS support of the Flare editor documented anywhere?

Post by EBergman »

Hi! I'm heading into some more advanced CSS tricks in order to streamline the process of cutomizing styles for different mediums. However, I've become confused by which CSS attributes are supported by Flare and which are not.

For example: The CSS attribute "widows" which is very useful for PDF output is supported by Flare, even if it is not supported by all major web browsers. Meanwhile, the "var" attribute is not supported by Flare while it is for all modern web browsers. Is there anywhere I can read up on Flare's compatibility in this regard?
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Is the CSS support of the Flare editor documented anywhe

Post by oceanclub »

EBergman wrote:Hi! I'm heading into some more advanced CSS tricks in order to streamline the process of cutomizing styles for different mediums. However, I've become confused by which CSS attributes are supported by Flare and which are not.

For example: The CSS attribute "widows" which is very useful for PDF output is supported by Flare, even if it is not supported by all major web browsers. Meanwhile, the "var" attribute is not supported by Flare while it is for all modern web browsers. Is there anywhere I can read up on Flare's compatibility in this regard?
Yes, I just noticed myself that "var" is unsupported and hope it is added in future.

P.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Put in a request to MadCap - this question comes up fairly often.

Generally speaking:

* CSS support for HTML5 outputs is usually going to be dictated by the browser, rather than Flare. Flare's CSS parser might complain about some CSS properties, and it may not look right in the XML editor, but that doesn't mean it won't work in the output (browser). However, there are a few bugs where Flare will actually modify/break your CSS - i.e. the output CSS doesn't match the source CSS.

* CSS support for PDF outputs is something of a mystery, as Flare tries to convert your CSS (defined for HTML) and get it working with the PDF (which doesn't use HTML). I'd aim to keep your CSS quite simple for PDFs. You'll have problems with multiple/complex selectors, and a lot of newer CSS properties.
EBergman
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by EBergman »

Dave Lee wrote: * CSS support for PDF outputs is something of a mystery, as Flare tries to convert your CSS (defined for HTML) and get it working with the PDF (which doesn't use HTML). I'd aim to keep your CSS quite simple for PDFs. You'll have problems with multiple/complex selectors, and a lot of newer CSS properties.
Thanks for your reply! Yes, this "mystery" bit is what I'm curious about. I'll check if MadCap has an answer.