Auto numbered paragraphs in snippets are overridden

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
ktbCA57
Sr. Propeller Head

Auto numbered paragraphs in snippets are overridden

Post by ktbCA57 »

So I have several snippets that contain numbered steps as they are required for different areas of our system - so they appear in multiple topics. However, I just realized that once the snippets with these steps are inserted into a topic, the associated topic stylesheet is overriding the numbering formats set in the snippets... I realize this is to be expected.. I just didn't think of it, and have no idea if there's any way around it - other than converting snippets to text... which I hate to do as that would mean updating several topics each time.

As an example, in one case, I have 3 snippets, each with 5 steps - numbered as 1-5 in EACH snippet, but when inserted into the topic, the numbers run continuously from one to the next so I have steps numbered 1-15.

Can any one suggest a possible workaround for this?

Thanks!
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Auto numbered paragraphs in snippets are overridden

Post by devjoe »

I think what you want to do is edit the autonumbering format for the first paragraph, and specify {n=1}. This resets the numbering to 1.
If your numbering is more involved, whatever you do normally when you want to reset the numbering, do it to the first paragraph in the snippet.
ktbCA57
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ktbCA57 »

o it to the first paragraph in the snippet
Thanks, but unfortunately, that's exactly how it is in the snippet... i have a style set up for n=1 and another style for n+1. but that is being overridden once i insert the Snippet into a topic... :-(

OK... and to top it off... I've found some places where the snippet number styles are working in a topic.. where as others are not... even within the same snippet! wth? :shock:
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

Try to reproduce this in a small project with just one or two topics and snippets. If you can, submit a defect to MadCap and attach the project. If you can't, it may give you more insight as to what is going on.
ktbCA57
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ktbCA57 »

Great suggestion... I will try that! THANKS!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Do you have a separate class in your stylesheet for first number in a list as well as an ordinary number, for example p.Number and p.NumberFirst (this one should include "n=1"), or are you doing it inline? I definitely recommend using two separate styles and applying them in your snippets rather than inline formatting.

If you can share the code from the text editor from your snippet and the topic where the numbers go from 1 - 15 we might be able to help directly.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
ktbCA57
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ktbCA57 »

Hi CM...

Yes... I most definitely have 2 styles: n=1, and n+1. However, luckily, the numbers seem to be working again. I ended up removing the problem snippets from the topic, closing the project, reopening the project, and reinsterting the snippets.

They seem to be OK...... for now. I have had a few other issues where i've had to remove and re-add snippets... oy.

Thanks for your input... you know i will let you know if it goes sideways again.